Nigerian news site deliberately blocked, expert report confirms Twitter blocked, journalism threatened in Nigeria NigeriaAfrica RSF_en February 8, 2021 Find out more News NigeriaAfrica January 28, 2021 Find out more Organisation August 25, 2005 – Updated on January 20, 2016 State Security Service raid weekly and attack newspaper vendors News News Reporters Without Borders voiced outrage today at the “perverse methods of intimidation” used against the Lagos-based weekly The Exclusive by Nigeria’s intelligence agency, the State Security Service (SSS), which carried out a heavy-handed raid on its offices on 19 August and then used threats to deter street vendors from selling its latest issue.”President Olusegun Obasanjo can pose as an African peace-maker as much as he likes, but Nigeria continues to be one of the continent’s most violent countries for journalists,” the press freedom organisation said. “His intelligence service has no scruples about punishing dissident voices and using perverse methods of intimidation if necessary.”Reporters Without Borders said it called on Alpha Oumar Konare, the chairman of the commission of the African Union (AU), to make a formal protest about the permanent climate of hostility towards journalists in Nigeria. “As the current holder of the AU’s rotating presidency, this country should be an example of respect for the treaties it has signed,” the organisation said.The raid on the privately-owned weekly’s premises was carried out by 14 SSS agents, one of them a woman. They burst into the editorial office and demanded all the copies of the latest issue. When the staff present said the issue had already gone out to street vendors, the agents threatened them and accused them of refusing to cooperate. They finally left, warning they could return.A Lagos street vendor subsequently told Reporters Without Borders he was no longer selling The Exclusive because many vendors had been roughed up by SSS agents who were confiscating all the copies they could find. This represented a big financial loss for the vendors, he said.The Exclusive editor Ofa Irabor told Reporters Without Borders the SSS did not explain the reason for their actions but he believed it was prompted by the newspaper’s coverage of the re-emergence in recent months of separatist unrest in the southeastern Biafra region, where an earlier bid for independence by the Igbo ethnic group led by Odumegwu Ojukwu resulted in a murderous civil war from 1967 to 1970. The pro-independence movement’s new leader is Chief Ralph Nwazurike.Irabor said, “we have so far brought out 19 issues, but the two issues that SSS agents have demanded are those in which we covered Igbo unrest, above all the issue which had Biafra as the cover story.”Reporters Without Borders last year added the SSS to its list of press freedom predators. June 10, 2021 Find out more Help by sharing this information to go further Receive email alerts Nigerian investigative journalist forced to flee after massacre disclosures Follow the news on Nigeria News
The National 4‑H STEM Challenge, formerly known as 4‑H National Youth Science Day, is an annual initiative to inspire kids everywhere to take an interest in science, technology, engineering and math through hands-on learning.The 2020 National 4‑H STEM Challenge, Mars Base Camp, will explore sending a mission to Mars with four different activities: Landing Zone Surveyor, Red Planet Odyssey, Crop Curiosity and Insight from Mars. Building a battery-operated rover, parachuting onto the planet’s surface and computer coding a story about Mars are some of the 2020 activities. Youth can choose to participate in one or multiple activities as part of the challenge. “With NASA’s focus on exploring Mars, the topics taught in the 2020 National 4‑H STEM Challenge are relevant and exciting,” says Kasey Bozeman, University of Georgia Cooperative Extension 4-H specialist for science and environmental education programs. “I’m excited to see our county Extension offices across the state offer these activities to 4-H members in their communities. We have counties that lead these activities by partnering with schools, community centers and after-school care programs. Now that a family kit is being offered, families can participate from the convenience of home. It’s such an easy way to get youth engaged in science activities.”Since the program’s inception in 2008, National 4‑H Council has partnered with land-grant universities to develop fun, accessible challenges that allow young people to see how STEM skills can be applied to the world around them. More than 3,500 Georgia 4-H’ers have participated in the National 4‑H STEM Challenge to date, with nearly 1,000 youth participating last year.The program was recently renamed the National 4‑H STEM Challenge to encourage families and 4-H clubs to participate at any time, not just on a specific day as practiced in previous years. According to National 4-H Council, “it’s a name that better reflects the spirit of the program and allows us to continue making improvements that enable you to reach more kids, plan events more easily and showcase the impact of your STEM programs year-round.”Additionally, the National 4-H Council has created materials and guides for the activities in an easily accessible format for youth and adults available at 4-h.org/parents/4-h-stem-challenge. Family kits designed for one to four youth and educator kits with materials for 12 youth are also available for purchase.For more information, visit georgia4h.org or contact your local University of Georgia Cooperative Extension office by visiting extension.uga.edu.
US goalkeeper Tim Howard is preaching vengeance ahead of their opening 2014 World Cup finals match against Ghana.The Everton first choice goalkeeper was between the sticks when Ghana eliminated the Stripes and Stars at the last World CupGhana striker Asamoah Gyan struck in the first half of extra-time to send the Black Stars through to the quarter-finals.Howards says their painful elimination is still fresh on their minds and that should motivate them to beat the four-time African champions in Natal on 16 June.“I think the memory will still be very fresh of the loss in the Round of 16 in 2010. I think that will help us more than it will them.We’re a much stronger team than we were, and they’ll know that going into the game. We’ll look to set that result right.” US have played Ghana twice in a row in the World Cup finals and have lost all by a 2-1 scoreline.
Raiders’ Jon Gruden says Nathan Peterman is ‘growing’ on him: ‘He’s got some talent’ According to the report, the deal makes Thomas the highest-paid receiver in history and the first non-quarterback offensive player to receive a $100 million deal.The #Saints & star WR Michael Thomas have reached a blockbuster, 5 yr $100M extension. This contract makes Thomas the highest paid WR in NFL History. He’s also the first non-QB offensive player to sign a $100M contract. Agents @DavidMulugheta & Andrew Kessler negotiated the deal.— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) July 31, 2019Thomas was reportedly seeking a deal worth around $22 million per season and opted to hold out of training camp until he got what he wanted. The two sides have been working toward a resolution for weeks, and appear to have finally reached an agreement after sitting at a standstill. He was under contract for this season, the final year of his rookie deal, which was slated pay him $1,148,041 until the extension was reached.Thomas, 26, was initially selected out of Ohio State by New Orleans with the 47th overall pick of the 2016 draft. He had an NFL-best 125 catches for 1,405 receiving yards and nine touchdowns last season.The All-Pro and two-time Pro Bowl selection has totaled 321 catches for 3,787 yards and 23 touchdowns over his first three seasons in the league. A.J. Green injury update: Bengals receiver (ankle) remains in walking boot Related News Dez Bryant says he has ‘no interest in playing football right now’ Michael Thomas got his deal.The Saints and their wide receiver have agreed to a five-year contract extension worth $100 million that includes $61 million in guarantees, NFL Media reported Wednesday.
Facebook0Tweet0Pin0 The Norcliffe Foundation is a private nonprofit family foundation in Seattle, Wash., serving the Puget Sound region. It was established in 1952 by Paul Pigott for the purpose of improving the quality of life of all people in the community. “We are so grateful to The Norcliffe Foundation for this grant,” says Zella Kahn-Jetter, Ph.D., P.E., dean of The Hal and Inge Marcus School of Engineering. “This building is giving our students an opportunity to study in an incredibly sustainable state-of-the-art facility. The building is also designed to provide areas for collaborative learning between students and faculty. When you walk around the building, you see that. There’s a buzz. Faculty and students are excited about all the wonderful things going on here.” Submitted by Saint Martin’s UniversityLACEY, WASHINGTON — The Norcliffe Foundation of Seattle, Wash., has awarded a grant in the amount of $505,000 to the Engineering Initiative at Saint Martin’s University. The gift is designated for construction of Fr. Richard Cebula, O.S.B. Hall, the new engineering building, which was designed with the goal of achieving a LEED Platinum rating for its green construction.The grant from The Norcliffe Foundation will leverage a “top-off grant” of $600,000 from the M. J. Murdock Charitable Trust to finishing paying for the construction of Cebula Hall.“We are thankful to The Norcliffe Foundation for its generosity,” says Saint Martin’s President Roy F. Heynderickx, Ph.D. “Our students will benefit the most from this grant as it directly supports engineering labs and classrooms. The magnitude of this grant allows us to claim success on completing the fundraising for the new engineering building and it sets the stage for further fundraising to support an industrial lab building and lab equipment. This could not be done without this significant grant from Norcliffe.” Saint Martin’s University is an independent four-year, coeducational university located on a wooded campus of more than 300 acres in Lacey, Washington. Established in 1895 by the Catholic Order of Saint Benedict, the University is one of 14 Benedictine colleges and universities in the United States and Canada, and the only one west of the Rocky Mountains. Saint Martin’s University prepares students for successful lives through its 23 majors and seven graduate programs spanning the liberal arts, business, education, nursing and engineering. Saint Martin’s welcomes more than 1,100 undergraduate students and 400 graduate students from many ethnic and religious backgrounds to its Lacey campus, and 300 more undergraduate students to its extension campuses located at Joint Base Lewis-McChord and Centralia College. Visit the Saint Martin’s University website at www.stmartin.edu. Engineering classes began in Cebula Hall in January 2013. The building features exposed systems, such as the geothermal heating and cooling system, that are used as teaching tools.
Dylan Haney of the Grand Forks Border Bruins earned Honourable Mention status as the Kootenay International Junior Hockey League announced September Players of the Month.Brock Lefebvre of the Creston Valley Thunder for the award edged out the 20-year-old native of Brandon, Manitoba. Haney finished the opening month on the KIJHL season with eight goals, seven assists and four power play goals as the Bruins shot up into top spot in the Murdoch Division.Also earning Honourable Mention were Paxton Malone and Mason Jones of Spokane and Thomas Cankovic of Creston Valley Thunder.Daniel Stone of Osoyoos Coyotes took September Player of the Month in the Okanagan/Shuswap Conference.Adam Jones of Osoyoos, Pat Brady of Chase Heat, Drew Carter of Princeton Posse and Kole Comin of Kamloops Storm earned Honourable Mention.Grand Forks, 5-2-1 and winners of won four straight games, travels to Creston Friday to meet the Thunder Cats.Saturday the Bruins host Fernie Ghostriders at 7 p.m. in the Grand Forks Arena.
L.A. Baptist High of North Hills’ girls’ basketball team came through with a historic victory Saturday, qualifying for a Southern Section title game for the first time after defeating Milken of Los Angeles 55-40 in the Div. V-A semifinals at Alemany High in Mission Hills. The Knights (20-6) face either Bishop Conaty or Crossroads of Santa Monica in the championship game Friday or Saturday at the Long Beach Pyramid. “It was a really good start,” said Marshall, a 5-foot-6 senior guard. “We came out strong, and the whole team played really well, then we weathered the storm. I’m so excited to reach the final because we’re making history right now.” Milken (16-6) didn’t score its first field goal until more than six minutes into the first quarter, when Caitlyn Campos broke the drought with a running hook shot. The Wildcats again had problems scoring in the second quarter, failing to convert a field goal until Kiri Kennedy’s 3-pointer with 2:09 left in the half. Kennedy added two more baskets before intermission to help Milken cut the lead to 31-14 at halftime. Marshall scored 10 points in 13 minutes in the first half. She sat out part of the second quarter after picking up her second foul, then scored 12 points in the third quarter to help keep pesky Milken buried “We’re definitely a momentum-driven team so it’s always nice to get a good start, but I never did relax much,” coach Mary Christiansen said. “I’m pretty excited. We’re the No. 1 seed, and this is something we’ve been working for all year. It’s one thing to be the No.1 seed, and it’s another to make it all the way to the finals. You’ve got to take the steps to get it done.” Christina Cherry and Alyse Scramozzno added nine points for L.A. Baptist, and Alysha Martin and Ariana Shayan scored six. Milken’s Rebecca Finkel scored 21 points, including four 3-pointers. Kim Hakim added eight points, and Sam Klein scored six. Despite the loss, this was Milken’s finest basketball season ever, as the Wildcats advanced to the section semifinals for the first time. “I think we were intimidated, but we brought it back up,” Milken’s Alisa Surowitz said. “It was a good season. We were co-champions of our league, and this is the first time a girls’ team from our school has gone this far.” 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Adreanna Marshall led the way with 24 points, connecting on 8 of 18 shots and 8 of 11 freethrows with three steals. Employing a relentless defense and fast-paced offense, L.A. Baptist reeled off the first 11 points and jumped to a 28-5 lead midway through the second quarter.
Young Chelsea defender Nathan Ake 1 Young Chelsea defender Nathan Ake says he has no plans to leave the club on loan as he looks to break into the first-team.The 19-year-old has found first-team action hard to come by this season, making two appearances in the Capital One Cup, one in the Champions League and none in the Premier League.However, despite the lack of opportunities, Ake has revealed that talks with Jose Mourinho have convinced him to stay at Stamford Bridge.“I feel I am getting closer to the first XI and a loan move would take me further back,” Ake told NUSport.“I recently had a conversation with Jose Mourinho, he feels that I am progressing well and asked me to keep improving.“I feel I am doing well and can compete at the top level for 90 minutes. The goal this season is to play as many minutes of first-team football as possible.”
Due to an editing error, a story Wednesday incorrectly reported that 11,000 acres burned in the Verdugo Mountains fire. In fact, roughly 1,000 acres were damaged. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREWalnut’s Malik Khouzam voted Southern California Boys Athlete of the Week160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
CINCINNATI — Wet weather threatened to delay the first two games of the series between the Giants and Reds in Cincinnati this weekend, but both games started on time.The sun was shining and the skies were clear for Monday’s series finale, but the game was delayed anyway. That’s because a large amount of bees appeared near home plate just prior to the 12:35 EST start of Monday’s game, preventing both teams from taking the field.Monday’s delay lasted 18 minutes as the bees ultimately departed …