Jacobs’ workers agree to revised conditions

first_imgSome 300 workers at the Jacobs Biscuits plant in Dublin have voted in favour of a survival plan that will mean significant changes in work practices after an ultimatum from management, writes Hugh Oram.The three unions at the plant – Siptu, the ATGWU and the Bakers, Food & Allied Workers – had urged the Jacob’s workers to accept the changes recommended by unions, after lengthy negotiations at the Labour Relations Commission. But in the face of advice from their unions, the workers had turned down the proposals.Management of the plant then said the factory would close within the next few weeks, with the loss of all jobs. Michael Carey, chief executive of the Jacob Fruitfield group, said the workers’ decision meant the company could no longer manufacture or distribute products from the factory.Redundancy for all workers was a prospect that brought intense discussions between man-agement and unions. Govern-ment ministers also intervened.The plan was put to the ballot again on March 3 and accepted by 202 votes to 36. Mr Carey said that the work practice changes to be implemented would ensure that biscuit manufacturing continues at the plant and that there is every hope the business can grow. “I would like to publicly thank the employees for the way in which they have reached this decision,” he added.Jacobs is the only biscuit manufacturing plant in Ireland and has about 35% of the Irish biscuit market. It was bought from Danone by Jacob Fruit-field in August, 2004.last_img read more

Former AFC general secretary Velappan dies

first_imgFormer AFC general secretary Velappan diesKuala Lumpur: Former Asian Football Confederation (AFC) general secretary Peter Velappan died on Saturday at the age of 83.Malaysia’s state news agency Bernama reported that Velappan passed away on Saturday morning.In a statement on the AFC website, its president Shaikh Salman Ebrahim Al Khalifa paid tribute to the veteran football administrator, reports Xinhua news agency.“On behalf of the entire Asian football family, I send my condolences and heartfelt sympathy to the family of one of the most important architects of growing the game in Asia,” he said.“Peter served Asian football with passion and professionalism and the news of his passing will shock and sadden all those who are involved in our great game on this continent. He deserves immense credit for everything that he achieved with the AFC and beyond.”Current AFC general secretary Windsor John, added that Velappan had been an inspiring figure both with AFC and the Football Association of Malaysia (FAM).“Peter set the standards to which everyone in Asian football aspires. He was dedicated to grassroots football and the development of the game in Asia. It has been an honour to follow in his footsteps,” he said.Born in Malaysia in 1935, Velappan studied in Britain and Canada before becoming a teacher and later became assistant general secretary of FAM from 1963 to 1980.He was also appointed as team manager and coach to the Malaysian football team which qualified for the 1972 Olympic Games in Munich.In 1978, Velappan became the AFC General Secretary during a time of its rapid expansion and development for the organization and for football in Asia, which hosted its first FIFA World Cup in Japan and South Korea in 2002 during his time in office.He was coordination director for the Organizing Committee and received FIFA’s distinguished service award for his 30 years of valuable contribution to the sport in 2002.As the longest serving general secretary in AFC history, he served under three AFC presidents namely Hamzah Abu Samah (1978 to 1994) and Sultan Ahmad Shah (1994 to 2002) both from Malaysia and Qatar national Mohamad Hamman (2002 to 2011).Velappan retired in 2007, after 29 years as general secretary, but remained a strong advocate for grassroots football and a firm supporter of present AFC president Shaikh Salman.His commitment to grassroots football led to a role at Vision Asia which was devoted to popularising the sport at the grassroots across Asia. IANSlast_img read more

The Latest: Pole vaulters set bar in competition from homes

first_imgDuplantis and Lavillenie each cleared a height of 5 meters (16 feet) 36 times over a span of 30 minutes that was broadcast by World Athletics on its social media channels. Both had one miss. Sam Kendrick of the United States wound up third by clearing the bar 26 times.They tried to figure out a tiebreaker before electing to award double gold. The 20-year-old Duplantis initially pushed for a three-minute playoffs, while the 33-year-old Lavillenie nixed the plan.Lavillenie did clear his 36th bar seconds before Duplantis. The event was split into two 15-minute sessions with a short halftime.The trio collaborated on the unique competition format since adjusting the bar wasn’t practical without officials in place.Duplantis competed from his base in Lafayette, Louisiana. Kendricks was at his farm in Oxford, Mississippi, and Lavillenie took part from Clermont-Ferrand, France, as he pushed the family’s trampoline to the side in order to jump. ___Serie A soccer clubs are in limbo with several regions of Italy allowing players to begin practicing on an individual basis at training centers on Monday while the government has set a May 18 return to the practice field for teams.Sports minister Vincenzo Spadafora is seeking clarification from the government’s techno-scientific coronavirus commission.Emilia-Romagna, Campania, Lazio and Sardinia have each given the go-ahead for teams in their regions to begin individual training. Those regions contain eight Serie A clubs: Bologna, Sassuolo, Spal, Parma, Napoli, Lazio, Roma and Cagliari.Serie A has been suspended since March 9, when the government ordered a nationwide lockdown. The Latest: Pole vaulters set bar in competition from homes It was billed as the “Ultimate Garden Clash” and could be a model for future track events. The outbreak of COVID-19 has led to the Tokyo Olympics being moved to 2021, along with the track and field season being put on hold.___All Serie A clubs have been cleared to resume training this week on an individual basis following a clarification from the Italian government.A week ago, the government had said that athletes in individual sports could resume training Monday and teams on May 18. That sparked confusion and frustration from Serie A clubs, which pointed out that their players would be allowed to train individually in public parks but not inside team training centers.Then over the last couple of days, several regional governors said teams in their areas could resume training individually at club training centers. May 3, 2020 Players from Spanish league clubs will be allowed to resume training on Monday as Spain eases some of the lockdown measures that had been in place because of the coronavirus pandemic.The government is allowing players to train individually at the clubs’ facilities while observing a series of safety measures pre-established by the league and local authorities.The league prepared a detailed four-phase training protocol that has already been distributed to clubs. Smaller group sessions and full squad sessions are likely to be allowed in the coming weeks.All players were expected to be tested for COVID-19 before resuming their training sessions.The Spanish league is expected to resume sometime in June. Now the government says all athletes are allowed to take part in “individual sports activity, in public or private areas, while respecting the safe distance of at least two meters (yards) and respecting the ban on any form of gathering.”Serie A has been suspended since March 9, when the government ordered a nationwide lockdown.___The chairman of Crystal Palace says the Premier League could face years of legal challenges if this season is not completed due to the coronavirus pandemic.Steve Parish offered public support for the league’s “Project Restart” plans after Brighton and West Ham expressed concerns about teams being forced to play their remaining games in neutral stadiums. The league is working with the government to find a safe way of players resuming group training and playing games by June at the earliest.Parish says “I want to complete the competition for reasons of sporting integrity. I want to crown Liverpool champions and give every other club a fair crack at the best league position they can achieve.”Palace is 11th in the 20-team standings with nine games remaining.Parish says “I certainly don’t want to have difficult conversations about curtailing, voiding and points per game. The ramifications of each are complex and could involve legal challenges that run on for months, if not years.”___ Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditThe Latest on the effects of the new coronavirus outbreak on sports around the world:___Mondo Duplantis of Sweden and Renaud Lavillenie of France tied for the gold medal Sunday during a men’s pole vault competition held in their own backyards. It was a rare sporting event held during the coronavirus pandemic. The government announced a week ago that individual athletes can resume training on Monday May 4, while teams can restart May 18.___More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports,Tampa Bay Lightning advance to face Dallas Stars in Stanley Cup finals, beating New York Islanders 2-1 in OT in Game 6 Associated Press last_img read more

STS adds Liga Siatkówki to Polish sports portfolio

first_img Share STS has signed a sponsorship agreement with Polska Liga Siatkówki (PLS) which will see the Polish betting operator become the official partner and bookmaker of the league.The deal, which will last four seasons running until 2023, will see STS benefit from an advertising presence throughout the league’s fixtures, with its logo appearing during all matches as well as on LED perimeter boards and on press walls.Furthermore, the agreement also strengthens the firm’s presence in volleyball and Polish sport. Mateusz Juroszek, CEO of STS, commented: “The agreement between STS and PLS is the next stage in the implementation of the strategy of supporting domestic sport and Polish volleyball. We are currently an official partner of, among others, the Asseco Resovia team, seven Ekstraklasa clubs and the Polish national football team.“As the largest private sponsor of Polish sport, we also support many organisations and players throughout the country. The agreement with Polska Liga Siatkówki is part of the plan of cooperating with the most recognisable sports brands; PlusLiga is definitely such a brand. Our agreement will translate into a number of benefits for STS, the league, and, above all, the fans.”STS has built a reputation as an active sponsor, carrying out many unique projects in cooperation with clubs and fans from all over Poland, such as measuring the loudness of cheering fans and placing the Sport Twoją Szansą Foundation emblem on match shirts. Moreover, proceeds from post-match auctions of these unique match shirts are then donated back to the charity to aid in the care of individuals that the charity is responsible for.Juroszek concluded: “At STS, we have always focused on people who are passionate about sport. This is because they are the ones who create a unique atmosphere during competitions. For this reason, a large part of our cooperation will be activities aimed at volleyball fans.”The agreement will also see the STS logo featured on the league’s website and across its social media platforms. STS is also set to organise activities which will be aimed at clubs and fans, with the bookmaker additionally granted its own pool of tickets which it will in turn distribute to fans of individual teams. Submit Related Articles Polish wagering report highlights STS market dominance  August 17, 2020 Share Mateusz Juroszek – Non-stop STS will expand amid industry disruptions August 12, 2020 New Polish poker table in BetGames section for STS July 15, 2020 StumbleUponlast_img read more

Spring training is a learning experience for Angels’ young starters

first_imgThe Dodgers tagged Heaney – whom they traded to the Angels for Howie Kendrick in December – for six runs in 3 1/3 innings. His reaction?“That’s some of the best my stuff has felt,” Heaney said. “I can’t be frustrated with that. I made some pitches, I didn’t make some pitches. Sometimes that’s how it works out.“Today was the best I’ve felt, out of the three starts I’ve made, by far.”For the Angels, it was a reminder that Heaney, 23, and Tropeano, 24, are not finished products. They won’t be once camp ends in two weeks, either. Pitching coach Mike Butcher said he’ll probably find a teachable moment for Heaney when they review video of Thursday’s game. There have been a few of those this spring. Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error “It’s almost like going to school,” said Mike Scioscia, who was managing the game against the Dodgers. “You’re getting your lessons, you’re learning – hopefully improving – and you get to a certain point, you graduate and you’re ready. We all feel (Heaney) is ready for the challenge in the major leagues. He’s going to let us know.”Heaney, Tropeano and Hector Santiago are all candidates for a fifth starter’s job that will be unusually important in April. Garrett Richards won’t make his first start through the rotation as he works back from knee surgery. C.J. Wilson will be challenged to make his first start in turn, too, since he’s missed time in camp because of illness and a minor knee injury, respectively.Even though time is of the essence, Heaney isn’t focused on the competition before him.“I’d love to have great numbers but I’m going out there, trying to put my work in, feel better every single time out,” he said. “So far I feel like I’ve done that.”Special deliveryThe Dodgers will play split-squad games each of the next two days, with half the club in San Antonio, Texas, and half staying in Arizona.David Huff is scheduled to start for the Dodgers on Saturday against the Colorado Rockies in Scottsdale, with Chad Gaudin the first pitcher out of the bullpen. The two non-roster invitees could be versatile contributors at some point in the season.“Both in kind of a multi-use fashion,” Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said. “Huff, obviously, being left-handed, could be a lefty, a guy with some length, could give you a couple different roles — a spot start in there if you needed that. Chad kind of the same from the right side.”Huff has an excuse if he isn’t able to start: His wife went into labor Thursday in the Phoenix area.Road trippingA group of Dodgers players, coaches, and staff flew to San Antonio on Thursday night for their two-game series at the Alamodome against the Texas Rangers. Yasiel Puig, Yasmani Grandal, Adrian Gonzalez and Justin Turner are among the regulars making the trip.Left-hander Erik Bedard starts Friday against Rangers right-hander Anthony Bass. Dodgers right-hander Zack Greinke starts Saturday against right-hander Anthony Ranaudo.Grandal will be the designated hitter Friday, Mattingly said, while Greinke will be allowed to bat for himself Saturday. Austin Barnes and/or Shawn Zarraga will catch Bedard on Friday, while Grandal will catch Greinke on Saturday. There is no local TV or radio for either game, but the Rangers will bring a crew from Fox Sports Southwest. That telecast is available to stream live via MLB.tv.AlsoDodgers pitcher Brandon League, sidelined by a sore right shoulder, played catch in the Dodgers’ batting cage as a steady rain washed out most outdoor workouts at Camelback Ranch. … The Dodgers re-assigned right-hander Ben Rowen to their minor league camp. Rowen, who is recovering from thoracic outlet surgery, threw to live hitters in BP for the first time Wednesday. … The Dodgers have 43 players in camp. … Wilson is scheduled to start Sunday for the Angels against the San Francisco Giants in Scottsdale.center_img GLENDALE, Ariz. >> Thursday was a rare day for the Angels. Two pitchers vying for a spot in their starting rotation started games on opposite sides of metropolitan Phoenix. Left-hander Andrew Heaney started against the Dodgers’ major-league lineup, while right-hander Nick Tropeano faced a much younger Chicago Cubs lineup in a “B” game. On paper, the results weren’t good for either pitcher.Tropeano lasted four innings and allowed eight hits and seven runs – all earned – including two home runs.Heaney retired the first four batters he faced, then ran into trouble in the second inning. He walked Scott Van Slyke, allowed back-to-back singles by Justin Turner and Andre Ethier, then served up a three-run home run to Alex Guerrero on a hanging changeup.last_img read more

Dodgers-Cubs game postponed, teams will play split doubleheader Tuesday

first_img“The goal is to get at least one game in tomorrow,” Green said.Each team will be allowed to add a 26th player to the roster for Tuesday’s second game. Dodgers manager Dave Roberts said he expects to add a pitcher from Triple-A Oklahoma City. Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error CHICAGO — A brief rainstorm and a persistent power problem combined to make a very long night at Wrigley Field – completely devoid of baseball.Monday night’s series opener between the Dodgers and Chicago Cubs was postponed only after a delay that lasted nearly three hours.The game will be made up as a split doubleheader on Tuesday. The first game will start at 10:05 a.m. PT, the second at the regularly-scheduled 5:05 p.m. Kenta Maeda will start the first game and Rich Hill the second for the Dodgers. Tyler Chatwood and Mike Montgomery are the scheduled starters for the Cubs.Monday’s frustrations began as a rain delay – without rain. The start of the game was pushed back due to a forecast that predicted heavy rains in the Chicago area. Those rains eventually arrived but didn’t become heavy enough to suspend play – had they started on time – until an hour or so after the scheduled game time.center_img When the rain finally stopped around 9 p.m. locally, the grounds crew prepared the field for play – but then put the tarp back on the field with no rain falling. Three banks of lights along the first base-right field side of the stadium were not fully functional.This isn’t the first time malfunctioning lights were a problem during a Cubs-Dodgers game. In June 2015, random patches of lights went out in the middle of the sixth inning, causing a 20-minute delay.Cubs spokesman Julian Green said the issue this time was “a limited power outage” that affected some areas of the ballpark, primarily the three banks of lights on the first-base side of the field (one of which was completely out). Green said the team is confident the problem will be solved in time for Tuesday’s second game.“We’re going to be working on it overnight,” he said.There is another issue, however. There is more rain in the forecast for Tuesday.last_img read more