Limerick nursing home battling COVID outbreak after eight residents die in…

first_imgDesigned by FreepikA private nursing home in Co Limerick is managing a severe outbreak of COVID-19 after eight off its residents died over the past two weeks after all eight had tested positive for the virus after an outbreak was declared shortly before Christmas.Pat Kennedy, CEO Windmill Healthcare, which operates Killeline Care Centre, Newcastle West, said: “Unfortunately, and sadly, we must confirm that we have 8 COVID-19 related deaths. This has been very upsetting for everyone, especially their loved ones, we would like to extend our deepest sympathies to all their families and extended friends.”Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Management are “scheduling for a vaccine roll out on the 18th January, and this cannot come quick enough” but “it’s vital for it to be sooner if possible,” Mr Kennedy said.The outbreak, declared three weeks ago, escalated over the past fortnight, as management continued to actively manage the situation with support for the HSE.The nursing home has close to 100 staff members caring for a maximum 63 residents.Reliable sources said “the majority” of staff and 63 residents tested positive for the virus.Some staff remain in self isolation while others have isolated and returned to work.As of today there were 12 active COVID cases among residents, however the number of confirmed cases among staff was not disclosed.“Windmill Healthcare can confirm that we are managing a Covid outbreak in Killeline Care Centre, Newcastle West. As part of our fortnightly staff serial testing, we had been advised that a number of staff had tested positive for Covid-19 prior to the Christmas period,” said Mr Kennedy.“We are fortunate that our senior management team at Windmill Healthcare are clinicians, with vast experience. Working alongside the management team at Killeline Care Centre, they immediately enacted our contingency plan and put all infection prevention and control measures in place.” “We have been liaising daily with the COVID-19 Outbreak Control Team within the HSE and local GP’s. Working together we are ensuring a collective approach and have been monitoring the situation daily to contain and control the outbreak to protect our residents and our staff.”Windmill operates six nursing homes and two retirement villages across Limerick, North Cork, Kerry, Galway and Offaly.“Being a part of a larger group means that we have extra resources behind us, and we have been fortunate to call on our complement of staff from across the country, as well as HSE and agency staff. The support we have received from the COVID-19 Outbreak Control Team, our local GP’s and our Staff has been a massive help throughout this enduring time,” Mr Kennedy said. Print He added, “with the incidence rate of Covid-19 in Limerick currently so high, particularly in West Limerick, it is a constant battle for all Nursing Homes to keep COVID-19 at bay, however, when it does penetrate, it shows how cruel it can be to our most vulnerable.”“The majority of our staff have now tested positive for COVID-19, as we are now 3 weeks into this outbreak, a high number of these staff are now recovered and back to work.”“The past three weeks has been an escalating scenario daily, but recent COVID-19 swabbing test result have indicated that the outbreak has now stabilized, and we expect that we will endure another difficult week before the cycle is complete.”Meanwhile, a HSE-run community hospital for the elderly, also located in Newcastle West, has managed to effectively wipeout an outbreak of covid-19 of an entire ward.The outbreak, at St Ita’s Community Hospital, was declared in the last week of November, when 25 patients on a 27-bed ward tested positive for the virus, informed sources said.There were no notified cases at the hospital this Monday, reliable sources confirmed.When asked for comment, a HSE Mid West Community Healthcare spokesman said it “does not comment on individual cases or individual activations, in the interests of confidentiality for individuals concerned”.“The HSE’s Department of Public Health responds to notified cases or outbreaks of Covid-19. The Department of Public Health undertakes a risk assessment of the situation, appropriate investigations are carried out and control measures put in place if required,” he added.Windmill spokeswoman’s response: “No other confirmed cases across any of our centres across the country.” Limerick Ladies National Football League opener to be streamed live Email Twitter Previous articleWhat have they achieved? Limerick’s 2013 Munster minor winning squadNext articleLimerick Post Show | Comedian Owen Colgan David Raleigh Advertisement Facebook Linkedincenter_img TAGScovid19Keeping Limerick PostedlimerickLimerick Post WhatsApp RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR WATCH: “Everyone is fighting so hard to get on” – Pat Ryan on competitive camogie squads Limerick’s National Camogie League double header to be streamed live LimerickNewsLimerick nursing home battling COVID outbreak after eight residents die in two weeksBy David Raleigh – January 4, 2021 5295 Billy Lee names strong Limerick side to take on Wicklow in crucial Division 3 clash Donal Ryan names Limerick Ladies Football team for League opener Roisin Upton excited by “hockey talent coming through” in Limericklast_img read more

Medford Armed Home Invasion Probed

first_imgSign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York Suffolk County police are investigating an armed home invasion in Medford last month.Two men armed with handguns knocked on the door of a Torrey Pine Lane home and when a resident opened the door, the duo pushed their way inside and stole cash at 6:23 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 24.The victim and her brother were not injured. The suspects fled the scene.No arrests have been made and no description of the suspects was available.Fifth Squad detectives are continuing the investigation.last_img

Arsenal striker Alexander Lacazette not interested in Inter transfer

first_imgArsenal striker Alexander Lacazette not interested in Inter transfer 1 min. story Comment PLAY About Connatix V67539 Lacazette is attracting interest from Italy (Picture: Getty)Alexander Lacazette has no intention of joining Inter Milan this summer, according to reports in France.The Serie A side are one of several suitors for the Frenchman, who has two years left of his contract at Arsenal.Atletico Madrid have also been credited with an interest but L’Equipe claim Inter have made an approach to sign Lacazette.Inter are on the hunt for a proven goalscorer with star striker Lautaro Martinez poised for a big move in the near future.ADVERTISEMENT Video Settings Barcelona are believed to be the frontrunners to land Martinez and Inter had identified Lacazette, 29, as an excellent replacement option.AdvertisementAdvertisementBut Lacazette is not interested in the switch and has made that ‘clear’ to Inter.Arsenal are facing an uncertain transfer window with Lacazette and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang linked with rival clubs.center_img Advertisement Full Screen Inter need a replacement striker for Martinez (Picture: Getty)Manchester United, Paris Saint-Germain Chelsea are reportedly keeping tabs on Aubameyang, who was heavily linked with Barcelona last January.The Gunners have had to scale back their transfer budget and wage bill due to the financial fall-out of the coronavirus pandemic. Players like Lacazette and Aubameyang have already agreed to a 12.5 per cent wage cut.More: FootballRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori reveals why he made U-turn over transfer deadline day moveMikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man CityMikel Arteta has been told to focus on free agents and swap deals, but Arsenal should have more funds available if Aubameyang or Lacazette is sold.Arsenal’s players are back in training ahead of the restart of the 2019/20 season and will headline the first night of action against Manchester City on 17 June. Metro Sport ReporterSunday 31 May 2020 3:18 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link1.2kShares Premier League football returns and a third matches free-to-viewTo view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web browser that supports HTML5 video Play VideoLoaded: 0%0:00Progress: 0%PlayMuteCurrent Time 0:00/Duration Time 1:52FullscreenPremier League football returns and a third matches free-to-viewhttps://metro.co.uk/video/premier-league-football-returns-matches-free-view-2181992/This is a modal window.Beginning of dialog window. Escape will cancel and close the window.TextColorWhiteBlackRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentTransparentWindowColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyTransparentSemi-TransparentOpaqueFont Size50%75%100%125%150%175%200%300%400%Text Edge StyleNoneRaisedDepressedUniformDropshadowFont FamilyProportional Sans-SerifMonospace Sans-SerifProportional SerifMonospace SerifCasualScriptSmall CapsReset restore all settings to the default valuesDoneClose Modal DialogEnd of dialog window.MORE: Hector Bellerin will only sign new Arsenal deal if Mikel Arteta delivers on improvementMORE: The astonishing total cost of David Luiz’s transfer from Chelsea to Arsenal revealedFollow Metro Sport across our social channels, on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. For more stories like this, check our sport page. Advertisementlast_img read more

Martinez puts contract talks on ice

first_img Press Association Efforts to persuade Maynor Figueroa, Franco di Santo and Antolin Alcaraz to sign extensions to deals that expire this summer have so far failed. Now Wigan are in the relegation zone, with only five games remaining to save themselves starting with a home tie against Tottenham, Martinez feels it would be a distraction for negotiations to continue. He said: “At the moment, we are at a stage in the season where everything gets frozen because the only thing that matters is the football club.” And Latics boss Martinez added: “Right now, all the individual decisions are not important. “Everything is surrounding the final five games in the league and making sure we achieve our aim. “The club is the priority. At the end of the season we will look into every individual because there are four or five who need to be given some consideration about the next step in their careers.” Figueroa, who joined Wigan in 2008, has been tipped to follow former team-mate Mohamed Diame to West Ham in the summer. Former Chelsea forward Di Santo has been linked with Lazio, whilst Alcaraz is bound to have his suitors given the authoritative manner of his performances since returning from a groin injury in February. Unfortunately for the Paraguayan, he is now facing another spell on the sidelines after suffering a hamstring problem in last week’s Premier League defeat at West Ham which places his appearance in the FA Cup final in doubt. The 30-year-old has been told he will spend at least three weeks on the sidelines, which is exactly the time-frame from the West Ham match until the Wembley showpiece with Manchester City. As Alcaraz is such a key figure within the Wigan defence, Martinez is bound to give him every opportunity to recover – however, he accepts the South American is cutting it fine. center_img Wigan boss Roberto Martinez has put all contract talks on hold until the Latics’ top-flight future is secure.last_img read more

Mata impressed by Van Gaal

first_img Mata’s respect for his new manager increased six weeks ago when he witnessed at first hand Van Gaal’s Holland hammer Spain 5-1 in the World Cup. “That game was very, very bad for us,” said Mata, who watched on from the bench. “They scored five goals against Spain so he did a great job.” Van Gaal plans to implement the 3-5-2 formation he used in the latter stages of the World Cup at United this season. That is good news for Mata, who is the perfect candidate to play in the hole behind two strikers. Mata enjoyed two successful years at Chelsea in that position, winning the club’s player of the year award on both occasions. But under David Moyes, Mata was often stationed on the right wing, where he did not look comfortable at all. The former Valencia midfielder hopes Van Gaal’s new system will bring the best out of him. “If I play behind the two strikers it’s a good position (for me),” he said. “I can look for the ball, I can try to assist or score, so I will try my best. “I will try to score as much as I can and try to help the team from that position. “If I have to play on the wing I will try my best as well but I feel comfortable in this role.” United have adapted to the new formation straight away, beating the Los Angeles Galaxy 7-0 in Van Gaal’s first game in charge on Wednesday night. And Mata hopes the system will be just as effective in the Premier League. “It can be very dangerous for the opponent. It is difficult for them to play against us in this formation,” he said. Finishing seventh last year is an experience Mata will never forget, even though he was only at the club for the last four months of the season. The Spaniard is aiming for the highest finish possible this term. “Last season was my first season in England without trophies so hopefully this new season I will be back to win something,” said Mata, who will play against his former club Valencia at Old Trafford on August 12. “The Premier League is a trophy I have never won so it would be a dream for me. “Ever since I was young Manchester United was winning trophies or fighting for them so that is what we have to do. “We have great players, a great manager. We have to go step by step but Man United always play for winning.” Louis van Gaal has told his players they must only speak to each other in English, Juan Mata has revealed. Van Gaal has laid down a few rules since taking over at Manchester United. The Dutchman has reminded his players they must fulfil their media duties and has told the United board that next year’s pre-season tour must be shorter. And now it has emerged that Van Gaal has instructed his squad to speak to one another in English, presumably to improve unity in the ranks. “We (the squad) only speak in English,” Mata said. “He (Van Gaal) says we have to speak in English.” Mata, who is perfectly fluent in English having arrived in the UK three years ago, does not see the new rule, or any other laid down by the new manager, as harsh. In fact, the Spaniard has a deep respect for his new club manager, and is fully behind everything he is doing at Old Trafford. “He is very good on and off the pitch. He is a good man and a great manager,” Mata said. “He has a lot of experience, he has won trophies in previous teams too, so it’s a good chance for me to learn from him and for us to improve as a team. “He is demanding. He is very honest, straight, speaks with everyone to his face. I think this is good, a perfect way to do it, saying what you think about the players in front of them.” Press Associationlast_img read more

Brooks named Pirates director of player personnel

first_imgby Malik VincentWith an existing shortage of minorities in the game of baseball, Tyrone Brooks—whose rise from an intern to front office executive—marks an unlikely climb.Yet, in just his second season with the Pirates, Brooks made such an impact with General Manager Neal Huntington that he is now the team’s fourth man in-charge.As the new director of Player Personnel, he is responsible for overseeing all of the organization’s staff that deals with pro scouting and recruiting. TYRONE BROOKS(Pittsburgh Pirates Photo/File) “Ty is a tremendous person,” Huntington said. “He’s intelligent and hardworking and has got a tremendous future in the game. He’s brought a variety of experience to our organization. He worked with some great general managers and has a wealth of experience.”Along with Huntington and others, Brooks has been helpful in the idea of building up the Pirates through the draft and signing quality prospects from overseas.“I’ll be going to various international locations to cross-check players when we’re recruiting them,” Brooks said. “I’ve gone to Australia, Korea, Japan, and Taiwan already this year. We’re looking into signing some players from all of these places. I’ll also help with strategic planning and working with Neal to make external moves.”Brooks, 37, was brought to the team as its Director of Baseball Operations after being with the Cleveland Indians as a professional scout.“We’ve decided to utilize some of his skills in a different way with his new position,” Huntington added. It’s a better match of what he brings to the table by overseeing all of our scouts and our international non-Latin American talent because he’s such a great evaluator.”He spent 11 seasons with the Atlanta Braves, where he’s begin his career as an intern in its Career Initiative Program, started by famer Hank Aaron for minority candidates. He was hired there the summer after his 1996 graduation from the University of Maryland—College Park with a dual major in Accounting and Marketing.“I was fortunate to have been given the opportunity to get into Major League Baseball right out of college,” Brooks said. “I one day have aspirations to become a general manager. The initial opportunity really set me up. Since then, I’ve always been determined to work my way up.”A native of Bethesda, Md., a young Brooks played baseball in high school and became a staff photographer of Maryland’s Terrapin Yearbook and the famous Diamondback student newspaper in college.Now in his 16th season as a professional, he serves on the Board of Directors for the Midwest Scouts Association and for the North County High School in Glen Burnie, MD’s Alumni Scholarship.He’s has also found ways to help solve the game of baseball’s shortage of Blacks and other minorities, namely, by founding the Baseball Industry Network. The group, intended for networking, is hosted by the social media site Linkdin (www.linkdin.com) and is currently over 9,700 members.“I know I didn’t have a lot of stumbling blocks breaking into the game,” he said. “I designed the network to help minorities that are already in the game and those that are trying to break into it the same opportunities that I had.”(Malik Vincent can be reached at [email protected])last_img read more