Leading physiotherapist says Arsenal injuries could be down to tactical approach

first_imgArsenal’s constant battle with injuries could be down to something as fundamental as their tactical approach to matches, one leading physiotherapist has claimed. “Quite often if we see collective issues at one specific club, we have to look at a bunch of things specifically related with that club.” Margo, who became the first female physio at an English league club during a stint at Barnet, reckons the issues at Arsenal are also systematic of a league where rest and recuperation are almost impossible. “Injuries do happen in a game but quite often they brew in training, when players are pushing the boundaries,” she said. “At this time of year we are always saying British football needs a break because they have been going strong. “Players have to play at their maximum and go all-out. Particularly in Sanchez’s position, the career is quite limited to be at the top so they are pushing their bodies to the boundaries. “But there are a lot more games and some of these guys are being pushed to the limit and high expectations are being made of them. “When Wenger first came along he introduced a different way of eating, nutrition and thinking into the club when he first arrived. His whole approach and management – it was working really well. “But something isn’t quite right at the moment, it is very difficult to pinpoint specifically what it is – somehow they need a rest. Football needs a break.” Meanwhile defender Hector Bellerin, who only recently returned from his own short spell on the sidelines, has backed the club to deal with the current injury blows. “I have said it before, there is great depth in the team,” he told Arsenal Player. “There are a lot of young players in the team waiting to come through, and we have a lot of quality training with us every day. “They are ready to step up so obviously every single player on the bench can do the same job as every single player in the starting XI. We don’t need to worry. The only thing we need to do is go out onto the pitch with the right mentality, it does not matter who we play.” Press Association Sport understands the pair are now doubtful for Saturday’s visit of Sunderland as well as the crucial Champions League clash with Olympiacos in Greece four days later. The duo, along with defender Laurent Koscielny, who also had to be substituted at Carrow Road due to a hip problem, will be assessed over the next 48 hours to discover the full extent of their injuries – with the France defender believed to have the best chance of being fit for the weekend. Sanchez has been playing almost constantly for club and country over the last year and Wenger was left to defend his decision to select the Chile international at Norwich after revealing he had felt his hamstring after starring in the 3-0 win over Dinamo Zagreb last week. Sunday’s injuries add to the seemingly ever-increasing number of casualties at the Emirates Stadium and chartered physiotherapist Sammy Margo believes it could be Arsenal’s tactics that are leading to so many players being absent. “Tactically, there are certain teams that play in a very specific way,” she told PA Sport. “It could be that tactically things are just leading to injuries, you can’t blame it on refereeing. It is normally down to training and the tactical approach to the game. “It may be that they are encouraged to behave in a certain way in certain situations that makes them more prone to injuries during the game. “It is such a bizarre situation for that to arise and quite often it is because of something the team are doing that is inherently leading to injuries. The Gunners are currently without 10 first-team players after a trio of stars were injured during Sunday’s 1-1 draw at Norwich. Key man Alexis Sanchez was forced off with a hamstring problem while manager Arsene Wenger confirmed Santi Cazorla finished the game “playing on one leg” after suffering a blow to his knee. Press Associationlast_img read more

Students petition against Homecoming tailgate rules

first_img“Educated individuals simply seeking to be a part of the Trojan Homecoming experience were highly regulated by police officers and security,” the petition read. “We are tired of the blatant discrimination and demand the same respect afforded to other organizations on campus. This policing is unacceptable!” Auerbach said the Alumni Association debriefs each year after Homecoming to discuss ways to improve the event, including talking with the organizations about possible new locations in the future to accommodate more people. Thomas said students have not reached out to DPS about the issue, but he would like to meet with students and alumni to discuss what happened and explain the situation from an administrator’s perspective.  A video on Twitter shows hundreds of people fenced into the tailgate with multiple officers surrounding the area. In the video, an officer can be seen monitoring the entry and exit points and slowly letting lines of people out through a small opening in the fence. In the video, an officer says, “Can we shut this down?” Isaacs said she, Reed and other attendees are drafting a letter requesting to meet with various officials including leaders in Student Affairs, Fraternity and Sorority Leadership Development and the Center for Black Cultural and Student Affairs to understand what happened and discuss their issues with how the tailgate was handled.  Reggie Reed, a 2019 alumni Marshall alumnus, said he didn’t understand why the location was capped at 200 people, when it appeared there was space for more to enter.  An online petition that has more than 500 signatures is calling on University administration to address concerns of alleged discrimination against Black and brown students during a tailgate before the USC Homecoming Game Saturday. During the tailgate, National Panhellenic Council Greek organizations were surrounded by large wire fences. However, the Department of Public Safety and USC Alumni Association say the tailgate followed the same procedures as any other organization. “What it looks like to me this year they said, ‘Let’s put them all in a small area, and let’s put a capacity on that so we can tone it all down,’” he said. “That’s what it looks like whether they meant to make it like that or not … I feel like it should have been known, like, we can’t cage up Black and brown people. It just looks too strange.”  Students and alumni attended the USC homecoming tailgate Saturday and found their designated space was surrounded with a wire fence and capped at 200 people.   (Photo courtesy of Nadine Isaacs) Reed said he didn’t understand why the area was gated nor why the Los Angeles Police Department and Department of Public Safety officers capped the gated area. In the past, Auerbach said the Alumni Association coordinated the tailgate with the undergraduate chapters of the organizations but worked with the graduate chapters this year to serve alcohol at the event. Because organizers wanted to serve alcohol, the wire fence went up as part of tailgate protocol, Auerbach said. While other organizations were surrounded by shorter white picket fences, Auerbach said the taller wire fences are raised for any organization serving alcohol, including the Latino Alumni Association, USC Associates and the USC reunion. According to the Change.org petition, which was created by Marshall School of Business graduate student Nadine Isaacs, students felt that the tailgate had an increased police presence. Isaacs and other students said there had been more security surrounding the tailgate than other areas, but DPS Chief John Thomas said a fire official told officers to come to the area to deal with overcrowding as visitors tried to get in and out of the area. She also said one alumnus brought up concerns that the layout seemed discriminatory and requested a larger space several days before the tailgate, but his concerns were not addressed. The alumnus did not respond to a request for comment. According to Patrick Auerbach, the associate senior vice president for alumni relations who helps plan the tailgate with the USC Alumni Association each year, the three organizations — Alpha Phi Alpha, Omega Phi Beta and Lambda Upsilon Lambda — were placed in the area at their graduate chapters’ request. Because of the area the organizations chose, they knew there would be a 200-person limit in the area, he said.   “All groups that were officially registered participants at USC Homecoming had the same parameters for the type of fencing … that they needed,” Auerbach said.  “We can only enhance that experience by dialogue and getting the insights from the participants so that we can make the necessary adjustments not only to keep them safe but to enhance the experience,” he said.last_img read more

DONEGAL JUDGE THROWS OUT SPEEDING CASES CALLING SYSTEM ‘FLAWED’

first_imgA Donegal judge has dismissed all speeding cases involving ‘Go Safe’ vans.Judge Sean MacBride, who is from Moville, said the speed detection vans, operated by a private company, were “bringing the law into disrepute”.Since it began five years ago, the outsourcing of speed detection by gardaí has been controversial. Judge MacBride threw out all prosecutions before Monaghan District Court involving ‘Go Safe’ vans, saying “the chain of evidence was inherently flawed” and there were “defects in the serving of the summonses”.‘Go Safe’ vans are operated by a private company, on behalf of An Garda Síochána.Judge MacBride said they often operated just inside or outside 30km/h zones, in places where detecting offences was like fishing in a “goldfish bowl”.This was rejected by an inspector from the Garda Fixed Penalty Office, who was adamant they were in “black spot” areas and “saving 25 lives a year on Irish roads”.The ruling is the latest setback for ‘Go Safe’ vans, coming after the dismissal of 98 such cases in Co Clare last month.DONEGAL JUDGE THROWS OUT SPEEDING CASES CALLING SYSTEM ‘FLAWED’ was last modified: December 4th, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:donegalGO SAFEJudge Sean MacBridemovilleSPED VANSlast_img read more