Show Closed This production ended its run on Aug. 24, 2014 View Comments Liana Hunt will seize the day! The actress is set to replace Kara Lindsay in the Newsies as leading lady Katherine Plumber starting February 3. As previously reported, Lindsay, who originated the role, will play her last performance on February 2. Star Files Related Shows Hunt is currently an ensemble member in Newsies. Her stage credits include Sophie in Mamma Mia! on Broadway as well as the national tour. Other credits include Les Miserables and Beauty and the Beast. Set in New York City at the turn of the century, Newsies follows Jack Kelly (Corey Cott), a charismatic newsboy and leader of a ragged band of teenaged boys, who dreams of a better life far from the hardships of the streets. When publishing titans Joseph Pulitzer and William Randolph Hearst raise distribution prices at the newsboys’ expense, Jack finds a cause to fight for and rallies newsies from across the city to strike. In addition to Lindsay and Cott, Newsies currently stars John Dossett as Joseph Pulitzer, Ben Fankhauser as Davey and LaVon Fisher-Wilson as Medda and features music by Alan Menken, lyrics by Jack Feldman and a book by Kinky Boots’ Harvey Fierstein. Newsies Kara Lindsay
The Oconee County Cooperative Extension started the new year in a new home. They have moved to the J. Phil Campbell Sr. Natural Resource Conservation Center, which has been operated by the University of Georgia College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences as a research and education center since August 2012.The staff moved into about 4,000 square feet in the main building of the agricultural experiment station on Experiment Station Road and Government Station Road in Watkinsville.For the past several decades, Oconee’s Extension staff has worked out of a converted ranch-style house behind the Oconee County courthouse, which left limited room for workshops, meetings and office space. The new space will allow them to host more training activities, youth programs and work in a more functional office area. “Oconee County is very pleased to cooperate with the University of Georgia College of Agricultural and Environmental Science to house the Oconee County Extension office in this location,” said Oconee County Commission Chairman Melvin Davis. “This facility will provide the adults and 4-H youth with a better facility to house the offices as well as for conducting adult and 4-H youth programs for our citizens.” In early 2012, the U.S. Department of Agriculture announced they would close the J. Phil Campbell Sr. Natural Resource Conservation Center. In August UGA administrators signed an agreement to transfer management of the Campbell facility to the university. Farm Superintendent Eric Elsner, his farm management staff and the Oconee County Extension staffers are the first UGA employees to move their offices to the 1,070-acre facility since the university took over operations there last summer. “Our goal is to rebuild the Campbell facility as a center of excellence for research, teaching, and Extension in agriculture and natural resource management,” said Harald Scherm, assistant dean for research for the college. “Hosting the Oconee County Extension office at the center is the first step toward building a synergistic team of research and Extension scientists at the facility to address critical issues related to sustainable crop and animal production systems, soil protection, and water quality and conservation.” In addition to the Oconee County Extension office, plans for the center include a Piedmont Beginning Farmers and Ranchers Partnership, the college’s Sustainable Grazing Systems Program, and a wide-array of Extension, teaching and research activities at the interface of agriculture and natural resource management.
By Taciana Moury/Diálogo May 18, 2017 The Brazil-led United Nations Stabilization Mission in Haiti (MINUSTAH) has been one of the longest running in the world. The mission began in 2004 when a situation of instability and lack of public safety arose in Haiti. It is the sole UN peacekeeping mission in the Americas. The demobilization in Haiti has started. Beginning in May, the Peacekeeping Infantry Battalion of the 25th Brazilian Contingent (BRABAT 25) assumed responsibility for the Chilean, Uruguayan, and Peruvian areas. According to Colonel Roberth Alexandre Eickhoff, commander of BRABAT 25, Brazilian service members will ensure the security of the base facilities until the equipment is disassembled and sent to its respective nations. Brigadier General Rogério Ramos Lage, deputy chief of Peacekeeping Operations for Brazil’s Ministry of Defense, said that base employment previously occupied by Chile, Uruguay, and Peru will require the deployment of up to two subunits outside of Port-au-Prince. “The battalion has the operational capacity to operate in these areas as well, but without including an increase in their responsibilities beyond what is already planned for the operational use of BRABAT.” A portion of the Brazilian force is located in the township of Cap-Haitien, assuming security duties for the facilities there. But despite the expansion of their area of operations, the force will remain the same. According to Col. Eickhoff, the biggest challenge is operating at great distances, while ensuring logistical support and maintaining communications. “Setting up a base in the region to provide support to the troops will be necessary,” he said. Col. Eickhoff added that the troops have been executing their demobilization planning while preparing the area for the next force, which will wind down the peacekeeping mission in the country. He considers Brazil’s 13-year participation in Haiti as having been fundamental to strengthening international relations and having provided an important service. “The feeling here is that we have fulfilled our duty. Additionally, MINUSTAH provided our Brazilian forces with expertise in peacekeeping missions, which will contribute to future peacekeeping missions around the world,” he said. Demobilization of Brazilian troops The Brazilian battalion’s operational activities in Haiti remain routine, even after the announcement of the end of MINUSTAH, set for October 15th. According to Brig. Gen. Lage, the objective is to maintain a secure and stable environment until their final departure. “The Office of Joint Operations, by way of the Office of the Deputy Chief of Peacekeeping Operations, is carrying out the Contingent Demobilization Plan and has been holding coordination meetings with those involved to work out the final details.” “Today, we are working off the date of September 1st as the end of operations, with the departure of 90 percent of our force by September 15th,” said Brig. Gen. Lage, adding that after that date, the Brazilian force will turn to the administrative measures necessary for preparing the repatriation of the contingent’s personnel and equipment. “Everyone has to be out of the country by October 15th,” he confirmed. Brazilian participation in Haiti During the 13 years of MINUSTAH operations, Brazil sent 37,000 service members to Haiti, including 950 from the 26th and the last Brazilian contingent that is traveling there in May. Brig. Gen. Lage assessed the work done by the Brazilian Armed Forces in Haiti as excellent. “The Haitian people and the international authorities also recognize Brazil’s participation for their performance in combining military duties such as patrolling with social and humanitarian activities,” he stressed. According to him, many challenges had to be overcome since the first contingent arrived in 2004. “Operating in the pacification of Cité Soleil after the mission had just started was quite complicated. The 2010 earthquake and Hurricane Matthew in 2016 were also regarded as very difficult situations,” he recalled. Between 2004 and December 2016, Brazil invested about $810 million in MINUSTAH, according to data from the Federal Integrated Financial Management System. The UN reimbursed Brazil about $296 million, according to the Ministry of Defense. Brig. Gen. Lage explained that the investment varied each year, depending on the complexity of the operation. “For example, in 2010 the year the earthquake occurred in Haiti, there was a substantial increase in spending as a result of opening up additional credits for humanitarian aid, and the facilities of the 2nd Contingent of the Peacekeeping Infantry Battalion Command [BRABAT 2],” he said. He also recalled that the UN reimbursements have been for expenses incurred from using troops in the peacekeeping mission and that they did not collect money for expenses related to troop training in Brazil. Nonetheless, Brig. Gen. Lage stated that the relevant thing for Brazil is to take part in peacekeeping missions. “It’s important for projecting Brazil internationally, for troop training, and also for the foreign dissemination of domestic defense products that are used by Brazilian troops during these operations,” he said. Upcoming missions With MINUSTAH ending, Brazil remains in command of the peacekeeping mission of the United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL), as well as having personnel in peacekeeping missions in the Central African Republic, Cyprus, Ivory Coast, Liberia, Sudan, South Sudan, and the Western Sahara. The Brazilian government has placed itself at the UN’s disposal for joining another peacekeeping mission. According to Brig. Gen. Lage, the Office of Joint Operations did a joint study called Project Seta to evaluate where Brazilian participation would be possible. “We identified various scenarios, which exist today, of peacekeeping missions in which we could operate,” he said. Brazilian Minister of Defense Raul Jungmann stated that Brazil would be interested in participating in the peacekeeping mission in Lebanon, in addition to UNIFIL. He also considered the possibility of Brazilian participation in MONUSCO, the United Nations Organization Stabilization Mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo. But according to Brig. Gen. Lage, the Brazilian government is waiting for an invitation from the UN to initiate the process of deploying troops to a new mission, through authorization from the Brazilian National Congress.
Don’t forget to set up your notifications as well so that goal alerts, team news and major match incidents are sent directly to your phone’s home screen. Press the star button to highlight additional matches and get notifications for the games that matter to you.If you’re only interested in your favourite club, head to the ‘My Team’ section for the latest stories, videos, fixtures, results and tables.Our new calendar function lets you see the schedule for the entire season with access to matches from 12 months ago and 12 months in the future, giving you our most comprehensive scores service ever.More than just match coverageAfter the match, enjoy free highlights of every game played in the Premier League, EFL and Scottish Premiership shortly after full-time plus selected international matches. You don’t need to be a Sky Sports subscriber or sign up to watch them – just click play.Plus, throughout the week you can stay up-to-date with the latest football news and videos direct from Sky Sports News as well as expert features and analysis from the Sky Sports pundits and journalists.So what are you waiting for? Join the millions of Sky Sports Scores users in following football with the UK’s number one scores app, which is new and improved. Download from the App Store or Google Play to get started. Read on for more on why the Sky Sports Scores is the UK’s number one scores app…Personalise your experience Image:Get all the latest scores and notifications sent straight to your phone Make your home page work for you – personalise with your favourite teams and leagues from an extensive selection across Europe and beyond. Then, when the matches kick off, use our immersive match centre to follow commentary, line-ups, match stats and the latest videos.Remember, you can watch free in-game clips of the major incidents from all Premier League games shown live on Sky Sports, plus in-game goals for EFL and Scottish Premiership live games as well as some international fixtures.- Advertisement – The new and improved Sky Sports Scores app is here! Tailor your experience to follow your team, watch free match highlights from the biggest games and get the scores your way.The Sky Sports Football Score Centre app has had a new-season spruce and has been relaunched as the Sky Sports Scores app, but have no fear – your favourite features have been given a makeover and are still available plus there’s plenty more.- Advertisement – – Advertisement – The new Sky Sports Scores app makes following football on your phone more accessible than ever before, bringing you goal alerts, commentaries, line-ups, fixtures, results and stats from hundreds of teams and leagues every single day.DOWNLOAD THE SKY SPORTS SCORES APP: Apple | AndroidPlus you get breaking news direct from Sky Sports News, the latest features and analysis plus free video highlights of every game played in the Premier League, EFL and Scottish Premiership plus a selection of international fixtures, including the Home Nations and the Republic of Ireland.- Advertisement –
Share2Tweet2ShareEmail4 SharesGov. Cuomo & Chairman Prendergast Ride E Train / Metropolitan Transportation Authority of the State of New YorkMarch 28, 2016; ABC News (Associated Press)The governor of New York has joined Mayor Ed Murray of Seattle and San Francisco’s Mayor Ed Lee in banning nonessential publically funded travel to North Carolina in response to N.C.’s House Bill 2, which blocks anti-discrimination protections for gay, lesbian, and transgender people. The law overrides local ordinances in the state that provide such protections, prevents cities and counties from passing anti-discrimination rules, and imposes a statewide standard that leaves out protections based on sexual orientation and gender identity.N.Y. Governor Andrew Cuomo issued the travel ban with this statement:In New York, we believe that all people—regardless of their gender identity or sexual orientation—deserve the same rights and protections under the law. From Stonewall to marriage equality, our state has been a beacon of hope and equality for the LGBT community, and we will not stand idly by as misguided legislation replicates the discrimination of the past. As long as there is a law in North Carolina that creates the grounds for discrimination against LGBT people, I am barring non-essential state travel to that state.Last week, North Carolina lawmakers approved and Republican Gov. Pat McCrory signed legislation voiding a Charlotte ordinance that would have provided wide protections against discrimination in public accommodations. Technology giants Apple, Google, and Facebook are among a dozen big companies, or their top executives, who have objected to the law. Governor Cuomo and the mayors are joining for-profit companies, public corporations, and associations and clubs who oppose the law by working an angle that works well for influencing decisions in a capitalist country: hitting the state’s pocketbook.Some of the roughly 20,000 retail and interior design companies that attend the twice-a-year High Point furniture market say they won’t travel to the North Carolina city next month because of HB2. The taxpayer-supported High Point Market Authority said Monday that dozens of buyers have said their employees wouldn’t attend to shop the new offerings of manufacturers and wholesalers. Opponents of the law also are on social media calling for a boycott of the market, which has an annual statewide economic impact of $5 billion. High Point Market Authority CEO Tom Conley says the impact of a threatened boycott won’t be known for weeks or months.Others are going the legal route. Lambda Legal, the American Civil Liberties Union, the ACLU of North Carolina, and Equality NC joined together in filing a federal lawsuit against House Bill 2. As reported in the Associated Press, at a press conference in Raleigh, North Carolina Attorney General Roy Cooper announced that his office would not defend HB2, which was pushed through during an unprecedented special legislative session of the N.C. General Assembly. (Cooper, a Democrat, is running against McCrory for governor in November.)Cooper has stated that the law is unconstitutional, and that he would join with the North Carolina Treasurer’s office to defend their non-discrimination policy, requiring equal treatment for LGBT people.—Marian ConwayShare2Tweet2ShareEmail4 Shares