The French Quarter Festival will look to present the “Largest Showcase of Louisiana Music in the World” when it returns to its home in the French Quarter of New Orleans for its 35th year this spring on April 11th-14th. The annual, free music event, which began running back in 1983, announced its 2019 lineup of over 1,700 local artists on Wednesday afternoon. The list of names includes Galactic, who will make their festival debut, The Meters‘ bassist George Porter Jr. & the Runnin’ Pardners, and Irma Thomas a.k.a. the “Soul Queen of New Orleans”, just to name a few.Other artists included on the list of names announced on Wednesday include Preservation All-Stars, Rebirth Brass Band, The Dukes Of Dixieland, The Soul Rebels, Buku Broux, DeJan’s Olympia Brass Band, New Orleans Suspects, Jamal Batiste Band, Little Freddie King, Carl LeBlanc, New Orleans Classic Jazz Orchestra, and Wanda Rouzan and a Taste of New Orleans. The complete listing of 2019 performers will be revealed in a few months on March 22nd.Related: Foundation Of Funk Announces Late-Night Show During Jazz Fest With Oteil BurbridgeThis year’s four-day event will of course also feature some world-class culinary options from around the New Orleans area to keep attendees energized throughout the marathon weekend of performances. The entire festival will begin with French Quarter Festival Second-Line Kickoff Parade beginning at 10 a.m. on April 11th, which runs from 100 block of Bourbon Street to Jackson Square.Fans can head over to the event website for more general information on this year’s event, as well as ticket package options.
Press Association Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger admits losing striker Olivier Giroud to a three-match ban is a “blow” – but one which his side must learn to deal with if they are to hold on to a place in the top four of the Barclays Premier League. Giroud was shown a straight red card by referee Andre Marriner in the final minute of last Saturday’s 1-0 win at Fulham for jumping into a challenge with defender Stanislav Manolev. The Arsenal boss initially indicated he felt the dismissal had been warranted, but the club decided to issue an appeal, which was rejected by the Football Association on Tuesday, after which the Frenchman said: “I am sad that it didn’t work, but we have to cope with it.” Wenger must now re-evaluate his attacking options for crucial games against newly-crowned champions Manchester United on Sunday, then at QPR and at home to Wigan before Giroud, who has netted 17 goals, will be eligible again on the final day at Newcastle. “It is a blow that we cannot have him available. We will have to do without him and we will do it,” Wenger told Arsenal Player. “It is a harsh decision. After the game, I was a little bit less convinced that he didn’t deserve the red card, but having seen it again, I feel it is completely accidental and a very minor incident.” Wenger could opt to deploy Theo Walcott, currently Arsenal’s leading scorer with 18, down the middle against United, looking to stretch the defence with his pace, or hand Lukas Podolski – who has netted 14 times this season – the chance to impress in a central role. Whatever attacking line-up Wenger decides upon, the Arsenal boss knows there will be little margin for error given their slender one-point lead over fourth-placed Chelsea and two-point advantage over north London rivals Tottenham, albeit having played a match more than both teams. Goalkeeper Lukasz Fabianski will again miss out because of a cracked rib, but otherwise Wenger reported no fresh injury concerns from the 1-0 win at Craven Cottage – which was a ninth win in the last 12 league games. Arsenal are expected to mark United’s achievements with a guard of honour before the match, when former Gunners captain Robin van Persie has been warned to expect a heated reception from the Emirates Stadium faithful following his controversial £24million move last summer.
Main Street, Letterkenny has many vacant buildings.Letterkenny is to appoint a new ‘Town Manager’ in an attempt to breath new life into its ailing town centre.At present one in six properties in the town centre is empty because of the economic downturn.Now the town council and the local Chamber has put up the cash to create a new post in a bid to breath new life into the area. A ‘Town Team’ will also be appointed to back up the Town Manager.Local businessman Mark Bundschu said “If one or two more retailers open, confidence will grow. If one or two more close, confidence could plummet and we are all interested in revitalising our town”.He went on to say that “early discussions regarding the idea of forming a Town Team has been well received among the retail community in the traditional town centre area with everyone recognising that if we improve the product we will attract increased footfall.”The Town Council have vowed to work with all stakeholders in Letterkenny Town Centre and has agreed to match any funding raised privately. The first stage of the process will be to form a Town Team from representatives of the Council, Retailers, Hospitality, Vintners, Tourism, the Gardai and major employers in the Town.This body will elect a Chairman and very importantly hire a Town Centre Manager with a commercial focus who will work deliver on the initiative in 3 phases:Phase 1: Retail and Hospitality InvestmentOne of the first steps it to preparing an investment prospectus for the Town Centre, detailing the Properties available, the opportunity, and the deficiencies in the current mix of retail. This prospectus will act as a tool in the active recruitment of new tenants who will complement the existing retail offering.Phase 2: Citizen Engagement One of the key components of the initiative is getting the people of Letterkenny involved through opting-in to receive information about activities and offers in the Town Centre. There will be a Web-site and Facebook Page detailing what is happening in the Town and flyers will also be produced for hotels to give out to visitors.Phase 3: Making the Town Centre a more Attractive place to VisitThis will involve working with groups such as Tidy Towns and Council staff to ensure the Town Centre is well maintained and also having all stakeholders working together to ensure people feel safe and enjoy their experience when they visit the Town CentreGerard Grant, Letterkenny Chamber President who has supported this initiative from the beginning says the initiative will act as a mechanism to really work together to revitalise the town centre. “In particular the Town Centre Manager will be focused on ensuring the retail mix is optimised by taking a close look at the existing businesses and targeting retailers that can fill the gap. The support of the Council in bringing it to this stage has been vital and now we are seeking the support from retailers and others to ensure we maximise the funding opportunity.”Anyone looking for further information or who might be interested in applying for the position of Town Centre Manager should E-mail [email protected] TO GET NEW MANAGER TO GIVE TOWN CENTRE NEW LIFE was last modified: April 30th, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:ChamberdonegalletterkennyTown Counciltown manager