Limerick nursing home battling COVID outbreak after eight residents die in…

first_imgDesigned by FreepikA private nursing home in Co Limerick is managing a severe outbreak of COVID-19 after eight off its residents died over the past two weeks after all eight had tested positive for the virus after an outbreak was declared shortly before Christmas.Pat Kennedy, CEO Windmill Healthcare, which operates Killeline Care Centre, Newcastle West, said: “Unfortunately, and sadly, we must confirm that we have 8 COVID-19 related deaths. This has been very upsetting for everyone, especially their loved ones, we would like to extend our deepest sympathies to all their families and extended friends.”Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Management are “scheduling for a vaccine roll out on the 18th January, and this cannot come quick enough” but “it’s vital for it to be sooner if possible,” Mr Kennedy said.The outbreak, declared three weeks ago, escalated over the past fortnight, as management continued to actively manage the situation with support for the HSE.The nursing home has close to 100 staff members caring for a maximum 63 residents.Reliable sources said “the majority” of staff and 63 residents tested positive for the virus.Some staff remain in self isolation while others have isolated and returned to work.As of today there were 12 active COVID cases among residents, however the number of confirmed cases among staff was not disclosed.“Windmill Healthcare can confirm that we are managing a Covid outbreak in Killeline Care Centre, Newcastle West. As part of our fortnightly staff serial testing, we had been advised that a number of staff had tested positive for Covid-19 prior to the Christmas period,” said Mr Kennedy.“We are fortunate that our senior management team at Windmill Healthcare are clinicians, with vast experience. Working alongside the management team at Killeline Care Centre, they immediately enacted our contingency plan and put all infection prevention and control measures in place.” “We have been liaising daily with the COVID-19 Outbreak Control Team within the HSE and local GP’s. Working together we are ensuring a collective approach and have been monitoring the situation daily to contain and control the outbreak to protect our residents and our staff.”Windmill operates six nursing homes and two retirement villages across Limerick, North Cork, Kerry, Galway and Offaly.“Being a part of a larger group means that we have extra resources behind us, and we have been fortunate to call on our complement of staff from across the country, as well as HSE and agency staff. The support we have received from the COVID-19 Outbreak Control Team, our local GP’s and our Staff has been a massive help throughout this enduring time,” Mr Kennedy said. Print He added, “with the incidence rate of Covid-19 in Limerick currently so high, particularly in West Limerick, it is a constant battle for all Nursing Homes to keep COVID-19 at bay, however, when it does penetrate, it shows how cruel it can be to our most vulnerable.”“The majority of our staff have now tested positive for COVID-19, as we are now 3 weeks into this outbreak, a high number of these staff are now recovered and back to work.”“The past three weeks has been an escalating scenario daily, but recent COVID-19 swabbing test result have indicated that the outbreak has now stabilized, and we expect that we will endure another difficult week before the cycle is complete.”Meanwhile, a HSE-run community hospital for the elderly, also located in Newcastle West, has managed to effectively wipeout an outbreak of covid-19 of an entire ward.The outbreak, at St Ita’s Community Hospital, was declared in the last week of November, when 25 patients on a 27-bed ward tested positive for the virus, informed sources said.There were no notified cases at the hospital this Monday, reliable sources confirmed.When asked for comment, a HSE Mid West Community Healthcare spokesman said it “does not comment on individual cases or individual activations, in the interests of confidentiality for individuals concerned”.“The HSE’s Department of Public Health responds to notified cases or outbreaks of Covid-19. The Department of Public Health undertakes a risk assessment of the situation, appropriate investigations are carried out and control measures put in place if required,” he added.Windmill spokeswoman’s response: “No other confirmed cases across any of our centres across the country.” Limerick Ladies National Football League opener to be streamed live Email Twitter Previous articleWhat have they achieved? Limerick’s 2013 Munster minor winning squadNext articleLimerick Post Show | Comedian Owen Colgan David Raleigh Advertisement Facebook Linkedincenter_img TAGScovid19Keeping Limerick PostedlimerickLimerick Post WhatsApp RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR WATCH: “Everyone is fighting so hard to get on” – Pat Ryan on competitive camogie squads Limerick’s National Camogie League double header to be streamed live LimerickNewsLimerick nursing home battling COVID outbreak after eight residents die in two weeksBy David Raleigh – January 4, 2021 5295 Billy Lee names strong Limerick side to take on Wicklow in crucial Division 3 clash Donal Ryan names Limerick Ladies Football team for League opener Roisin Upton excited by “hockey talent coming through” in Limericklast_img read more

Treñas mulls Iloilo City lockdown; WV provinces may follow, too

first_imgILOILO City – Extraordinary times call for extraordinary measures,according to Mayor Jerry Treñas. * people travelling by sea from Metro Manila (and its cities),Batangas seaport through the roll-on/roll-off ports “They are waiting for our lead. Kon ano aton obra, obrahon man nila,” said Treñas. Treñas assured Ilonggos there is no need to panic. The movement of people would be further reduced, according to themayor, not only of those entering and leaving the city but even of peoplewithin the city. “You know, ang aton diri kaywala kita mga test kits (for COVID-19, we can’t be certain about thecases). Seguro the most logical nga obrahon ta is considered them asalready (COVID-19) positive,” said Treñas. Immune-compromised people or those who are at a higher risk ofbeing infected by COVID-19 (such as senior citizens, children, and pregnantwomen) are also listed in the EO as “non-essential entry”. “They shall be subjected to the protocols, decision tools andtriages issued by accredited health authorities, and escorted to theirrespective residences for voluntary home quarantine,” read the EO. Treñas also announced that the two-week cancellation of classes inall levels – which starts today – will be extended until April 14 instead ofMarch 31. “All students are required to stay at home and be safe to preventthe spread of the virus,” he said. He cited two reported deaths in two separate hospitals here. He also told Panay Newof having secured assurances of cooperation from managements of various malls. “You can’t just leave your house all the time.  Do so only when seeking out essential needssuch as medicines and food. But essential businesses should remain open such asbanks, gas stations…We will be identifying these essential businesses,” saidTreñas. He mentioned Guimaras’ Gov. Samuel Gumarin, Iloilo’s Gov. ArthurDefensor Jr., Aklan’s Gov. Florencio Miraflores, and Capiz’s Gov. EstebanContreras. The malls would be shutting down, including their tenant stores,should there be a lockdown, said Treñas. For the barangays, the mayor said, the city government is alreadypreparing barangay day care centers for the provision of community/mobilekitchens. center_img Treñas revealed he already conferred with the managements ofsupermarkets and pharmacies and they assured him of the supply of goods. Cargo ships will be allowed to enter Iloilo City, Treñas said,subject to the guidelines from the Department of Health’s (DOH) Bureau ofQuarantine. “This is best of everybody. I hope everyone will cooperate,” hesaid. FILE PHOTO BY IAN PAUL CORDERO/PN Executive Order (EO) No. 050 identified the following as“non-essential entry”: Just this March 16, the city government started imposing travelrestrictions. Treñas prohibited the “non-essential entry of persons travellingby sea” until April 14. Citing the number of persons under monitoring (980) and personsunder investigation (27) here for possible coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19),he said a lockdown may be imposed. According to the mayor, he already informed the governors ofvarious provinces in Western Visayas about his plan to put the city in alockdown. During a lockdown, only “essential establishments” would beallowed to operate so that residents could continue accessing essential goodsfor their daily needs, he said. “In emergency situations like this, speed is crucial. We have tomove fast so we can stop the virus from spreading, and save lives,” accordingto Treñas. * people travelling by sea who, prior to entering Iloilo City, canbe shown to have come from the 120 countries identified by the World HealthOrganization as having cases of COVID-19 Treñas tasked the Iloilo City Police Office, Armed Forces of thePhilippines and Philippine Coast Guard to enforce the border restriction. Iloilo City has 180 barangays. However, the crew or passengers of the cargo ships or vesselscannot be allowed to disembark, the EO stressed./PNlast_img read more