Threatened journalist forced to flee Tolima department, third in Colombia since start of year

first_img 2011-2020: A study of journalist murders in Latin America confirms the importance of strengthening protection policies News ColombiaAmericas Organisation Reports May 13, 2021 Find out more to go further Help by sharing this information News News Follow the news on Colombia ColombiaAmericas April 27, 2021 Find out more RSF begins research into mechanisms for protecting journalists in Latin America October 21, 2020 Find out more February 14, 2008 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Threatened journalist forced to flee Tolima department, third in Colombia since start of year Receive email alerts RSF_en Reporters Without Borders is worried about Rogelio Prado Rodríguez, a contributor to Radio Tropical, Cadena Radial Super and the local daily Tolima Hoy, who has had to flee Tolima because of threats, the latest 7 February, which were almost certainly prompted by his coverage of local corruption. RSF, IFEX-ALC and Media Defence, support FLIP and journalist Diana Díaz against state harassment in Colombia Reporters Without Borders is outraged that threats have forced freelance journalist Rogelio Prado Rodríguez to flee Tolima, the central department where he lives and works. The latest threat, on 7 February, took the form of a notice announcing his own death. Prado works for two radio stations, Radio Tropical and Cadena Radial Super, and the local daily Tolima Hoy. For the past two years, he been covering local government fraud allegedly involving the former mayor of the town of Melgar.“Three Colombian journalists have been forced to flee since the start of the year, two of them in the department of Tolima in the space of a week,” Reporters Without Borders said. “It is true that Tolima is a war zone, but the threats that finally convinced Prado to leave seem to be linked to his reporting on local corruption. This is why, like Prado, we hope that the police and judicial authorities will investigate the recent probes into misconduct in the Melgar town hall, and that he gets protection.”Prado decided to leave after receiving four notices at his home on 7 February, each announcing a funeral mass that was supposedly being organised for him by his family, the three news media he works for, the Tolima departmental authorities and the Melgar municipal authorities.“The situation started to worsen in October, during the municipal election campaign, when the daily El Nuevo Día started to report what I have already been saying on the radio,” he told Reporters Without Borders. Since then, Prado has been constantly receiving threatening messages on his mobile phone.In 2006, Prado began covering a judicial investigation into alleged irregularities in contracts issued by José Alejandro Martínez Sánchez (now Tolima’s minister of infrastructure) when he was mayor of Melgar. The attempts to intimidate Prado were stepped up in May 2007, when a package of spoiled meat was left outside his home. Soon afterwards, a stone was thrown through one of the windows of its home. Attached to it was a message telling him to shut up.Prado began his career as a journalist working for Radio Armero in the town of Armero, where he was born. As well as reporting for Tolima Hoy, he has had a contract with Cadena Radial Super for the past 10 years and he hosts a morning news and talk show on Radio Tropical. In 2006 and 2007, he presented the show “El Bunker” on the army radio station.The father of five children, Prado said that, aside from his personal situation, he hoped that the judicial authorities shed light on the use of public funds by the Melgar town hall during the past five years.last_img read more

Increase in passenger numbers on Donegal – Dublin air route

first_img Harps come back to win in Waterford Google+ News, Sport and Obituaries on Monday May 24th Facebook WhatsApp Previous articleFinesse Excel at National Indoor ArenaNext article33 people awaiting admission at LUH this morning News Highland Homepage BannerNews There’s been a 52% increase in the number of passengers travelling on the Aer Lingus Regional route between Donegal Airport and Dublin.Figures released this morning show just over 33,500 passengers flew between Dublin and Donegal in the past twelve months, compared to just over 22,000 the previous year.August of this year was the busiest, with 3,600 passengers carried.The Aer Lingus Regional branded flights are operated by Stobart Air, who say passenger numbers have grown substantially since it took over the routre from Loganair in 2015. RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Facebook Twitter Increase in passenger numbers on Donegal – Dublin air routecenter_img Pinterest Twitter WhatsApp Arranmore progress and potential flagged as population grows By News Highland – November 21, 2017 Journey home will be easier – Paul Hegarty DL Debate – 24/05/21 Google+ Important message for people attending LUH’s INR clinic Pinterestlast_img read more

Oscar-winner to visit theater students

first_imgAward-winning actress Dianne Wiest, who appeared in such movies as “Edward Scissorhands” and “Hannah and Her Sisters,” will host “An Evening with Dianne Wiest,” at 7:30 p.m. tonight in O’Laughlin Auditorium.The Margaret M. Hill Visiting Guest Artist program made the visit possible through an endowment made by a College alumnus who is now a New York theatre producer, associate professor of theater Katie Sullivan said.“This [endowment] is a great way to give something really tremendous to our students,” Sullivan said. “To have such a program … that in four years our students will have met with, worked with, shown their work to, had lunch with these amazing artists … to have this opportunity is almost unheard of.”Wiest has won two Oscars and two Emmys among otherhonors and is known for her 10-year career with popular series “Law & Order” as District Attorney Nora Lewin. She also appeared in multiple theater productions and over 54 films, including “Footloose” and five Woody Allen films such as “Hannah and Her Sisters.”“The amount of plays she’s done and the amount of movies she’s done can be split up amongst several different lifetimes,” junior Maria Welser said. “And I think the best thing ever about it is even if you don’t know her, she’s worked with some of the biggest names in theater and in movies and television.”Wiest will partake in a three-hour class with College theater students, Sullivan said. During the class, 13 students will present six short scenes they have prepared.“[Wiest] is really dedicated and interested in doing the very best job of coaching and guiding she can,” Sullivan said, “Usually we don’t have as many as 13 performers. She was very interested in being as inclusive as possible.”Sullivan said an hour-long private lunch will follow the class. With no faculty present at the meal, 19 theater students will have the chance to ask questions and converse with the actress.Sophomore Katie Corbett said the time at lunch will allow her and fellow students to peek into Wiest’s world.“I think it’s such a rare opportunity for us to have someone who’s so acclaimed from the industry,” Corbett said. “She will be able to give advice to any Saint Mary’s woman … it’ll be an incredible opportunity.”Sullivan said she plans to ask Wiest a series of questions regarding her childhood and career, allowing Wiest to share personal anecdotes and stories with the audience, she said.“We’ve all been a fan of a movie or a person, and the idea of getting to hear them really talk about the experience that meant so much to us is really cool,” Sullivan said.Following the presentation there will be a question and answer session with the audience, she said.“I think there will be fans from various walks of life, not just theater trained people but movie goers, TV watchers, people who think ‘Wow, I have the chance to hear somebody speak as her real self when I’ve been watching her for years,’” Sullivan said.Corbett said Wiest’s strength and independence embodies what Saint Mary’s is all about by. She said she seesWiest’s story as motivation for other women to craft an enriching career no matter where they come from.“A lot of times when we’re hosting a woman, we’re saying to our students ‘This is possible. Dream big,’” Sullivan said. “It’s not just about showing off or saying ‘help me, help me,’ it’s really about saying ‘My gosh we have this opportunity to pick someone’s brain, who has been where you are, young and full of desire’, and learn from her. It’s a great learning experience.”Tickets are free to students, faculty, and staff from Saint Mary’s College, University of Notre Dame and Holy Cross College. Admission is $10 for general public and $5 for senior citizens. Tickets are available at the Moreau Box Office, by calling (574)-284-4626, and online at www.moreaucenter.com.last_img read more

Machine sales & interactive growth boost Scientific Games Q1 performance

first_img Scientific Games confirms Michael Eklund as inbound Group CFO  May 22, 2020 StumbleUpon Perelman fund reviews majority shareholding in Scientific Games July 16, 2020 Share Related Articles Scientific Games appoints Rich Schneider as group product strategy lead April 22, 2020 Submit Share Publishing its Q1 2016 results Nasdaq-listed Scientific Games Corporation (SGC) has published its ‘sixth consecutive quarter of growth’, driven by strong machine gaming sales and its interactive division.Q1 2017 revenues rose 6% to $725 million, up from $682 million a year ago. Revenue growth was supported by a 24% increase in global unit shipments and a 33% increase in interactive revenues.A strong Q1 revenue performance would support the firm’s operating income, which increased 75% to $88 million  (Q1 2016: $50.3 million).The Las Vegas company continues to pay installments on its reduced corporate debt of approximately $8 billion. The firm would report a period Net loss of $100 million compared with $92.3 million in the prior-year period, as the increase in operating income was offset by a $29.7 million loss on extinguishment and modification of debt and a $35.9 million increase in the income tax provision.Kevin Sheehan, Chief Executive Officer of Scientific Games commented on company performance“Our continued steady improvement in revenue and margin are a direct result of our focus on creating innovative products that drive demand and our commitment to operational excellence,”“This is a great start to the year, with all three of our business segments contributing to growth. We have a tremendous global team firmly focused on unlocking the power of our brands, strengthening our commitment to innovation, and executing a disciplined fiscal approach to enhance long-term shareholder value. We are building for our future.”last_img read more

Kenny tipped to join Leeds and Barton’s future expected to be resolved

first_imgBolton are ready to step up their interest in Leeds United goalkeeper Andy Lonergan, potentially paving the way for QPR’s Paddy Kenny to move to Elland Road, according to The Bolton News.Kenny is tipped to join former boss Neil Warnock at Leeds following Rangers’ signing of Robert Green.Meanwhile, Joey Barton’s future could be clearer by Monday or even today, the Daily Mail report.An apparent internal investigation by QPR following Barton’s violent outburst against Manchester City is expected to be concluded soon.Barton kicked Sergio Aguero and aimed a headbutt at Vincent Kompany after being sent off for elbowing Carlos Tevez.The FA subsequently banned him for 12 matches and Barton is not expected to be named in manager Mark Hughes’ 25-man Premier League squad if the player remains at Loftus Road.Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebooklast_img read more

Power-hitting teenager Marco Luciano gives San Francisco Giants a reason to dream

first_imgPHOENIX — It isn’t the impressive, raw power that’s a sudden surprise at the Giants’ minor league complex in Scottsdale.It isn’t the remarkably quick bat speed, the strong, accurate throwing arm or the ability to handle advanced pitching, either.When the Giants signed Marco Luciano, a gifted shortstop prospect out of the Dominican Republic, they knew all about the tools that would give him a chance to become a major league star. They expected the power, the bat speed and the ability to handle …last_img

Online visa system launched for South Africans visiting UK

first_imgAfter success in countries like China and India, the online visa application service to the UK, Access UK, has been expanded to South Africa. If you’re planning a British holiday you can now apply for your visa, make an appointment, and pay online.Access UK, an online visa application system for visitors to the UK, launches for South Africans on 22 April 2016. (Image: Pixabay)Access UK, an online visa application service, has been launched for South Africans wanting to visit the UK.After being successful in China and India, the portal has been extended to Russia, Belarus, Turkey, Nigeria, Benin and South Africa. “Over 270 000 applicants have already used Access UK and feedback is really positive,” the UK Home Office said.The UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) application system has been expanded to South Africa https://t.co/jpZ60cMc2P pic.twitter.com/sObxZcijtp— UK in South Africa (@UKinSouthAfrica) April 22, 2016Applicants can use the website to apply, book an appointment and pay for their submission through the standard, priority or super-priority visa service, where applicable.People are able to review, revise or download partially finalised applications before submission, with the visa fee displayed in rands, according to travel news site Traveller24.The following visas can be applied for:Standard visitorGeneral and FamilyChildBusinessEntrepreneurReligionSportspersonsCreativePrivate medical treatment (six months)Visitors undertaking the PLAB test, objective structured clinical examination, clinical attachment and dental observationsVisitor – marriage and civil partnershipVisitor – permitted paid engagementPricesPrices vary depending on the visa required. Standard visas are £87 (about R1 920). The longer the visa, the higher the cost:Two years: £330 (about R7 288)Five years: £600 (about R13 250)Ten years: £752 (about R16 610)The new service is running parallel with the old system, Visa4UK. New applicants will be directed to the new improved Access UK service. Users will not be charged when changing services, said the UK home office. Sources: Traveller24 and UK Home OfficeWould you like to use this article in your publication or on your website? See Using Brand South Africa material.last_img read more

A New Lab To Test Water Heaters

first_imgFlorida Set-Up Permits Side-by-Side ComparisonsCOCOA, FL — The Florida Solar Energy Center (FSEC) recently announced the opening of a new laboratory for testing solar water heaters, on-demand water heaters, and conventional tank heaters. Funded by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Building America program, the Hot Water Systems Laboratory will provide answers to a variety of questions, including: How much do solar water heaters contribute to the reduction of peak electric loads?“Solar water heating is an excellent way to save energy on water heating and reduce whole-house energy use, but utilities are specifically interested in knowing whether or not solar is providing relief to the power grid during peak times. Our testing will answer their questions,” says Subrato Chandra, the Building America Industrialized Housing Partnership project manager at FSEC.Measuring the Performance of Integrated Collector and Storage SystemsResearchers are particularly interested in the efficiency of solar batch heaters. Principal investigator Danny Parker noted, “Solar integrated collector and storage systems, where the storage tank is on the roof and sensitive to weather, have never been verified before, only simulated, so we’re interested in seeing how they work, particularly on winter mornings.”The lab is currently collecting 90 channels of data from seven water heaters:1. A standard 50-gallon electric water heater.2. A solar water heater with a 40-square-foot flat-plate collector, an 80-gallon storage tank, and a differential controller.3. A solar water heater with a 32-square-foot collector, a 40-gallon integrated collector storage tank, and a standard 50-gallon electric tank for backup.4. A solar water heater with a 40-square-foot flat-plate collector, an 80-gallon storage tank, and a DC pump powered by photovoltaic module.5. A standard 40-gallon natural gas water heater.6. An on-demand natural gas water heater.7. An on-demand electric water heater.The seven water heating systems will be tested for a full year. For more information, visit www.floridaenergycenter.org.last_img read more

Reps Cox Barrett introduce aircraft safety legislation

first_img25Jan Reps. Cox, Barrett introduce aircraft safety legislation State Reps. Laura Cox, of Livonia, and Tom Barrett, of Potterville, have introduced a package of bills that will prohibit an individual from pointing a laser directly at, or in the path of, an aircraft.“This is a public safety issue,” said Rep. Cox. “A laser pointer beam width at altitude is much larger and can completely blind the pilot in the cockpit.”Michigan State Police report that over the last 12 months several pilots have stated their aircraft was struck by a laser while flying.Rep. Cox’s House Bill 4063 prohibits the action while Rep. Barrett’s HB 4064 outlines the sentencing guidelines that would make the offense a felony under state law.“Laser pointers pose a very real risk to pilots and passengers,” said Rep. Barrett, who serves as a helicopter pilot in the Michigan National Guard. “It’s important we put a stop to this before anyone gets hurt.”### Categories: Barrett Newslast_img read more