Donegal men cleared over homeless man’s death in Australia

first_img Previous articleConcern at increasing levels of Covid-19 in DonegalNext articleTraffic calming measures sought for Ramelton approach road News Highland Two Donegal men have been acquitted of murdering a homeless man after arguing they were attacked by the 66 year old after a night out in Sydney.Nathan Kelly, 23, and Christopher McLaughlin, 25, had pleaded not guilty to murdering Paul Tavelardis, who died nine days after an altercation in Grosvenor Crescent, Summer Hill, on December 29, 2018.Both accused men, from the Inishowen area, had spent more than 20 months on remand and have since had their working holiday visas revoked.Over the three-week trial, the jury had heard the two men had been drinking heavily throughout the afternoon and evening before the incident.When they returned to where they lived, the two men said they found Mr Tavelardis trying to break into Mr McLaughlin’s ute.Both men’s barristers said, after a short conversation, the older man struck out at Mr Kelly with a metal pipe.Both men had argued they never formed intent to kill or cause really serious harm and had responded to an attack by Mr Tavelardis, who lived in his car on the street.The Crown had argued the younger men had repeatedly hit the pensioner after he fell to the ground – a claim denied by both men.After deliberating for almost a week, the NSW Supreme Court jury returned not guilty verdicts to both murder and manslaughter. Facebook Homepage BannerNews By News Highland – September 21, 2020 Donegal men cleared over homeless man’s death in Australia Nine til Noon Show – Listen back to Monday’s Programme Arranmore progress and potential flagged as population grows WhatsApp Twitter Twitter Google+center_img Facebook Pinterest Important message for people attending LUH’s INR clinic RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Google+ WhatsApp Loganair’s new Derry – Liverpool air service takes off from CODA Pinterest Community Enhancement Programme open for applications Publicans in Republic watching closely as North reopens furtherlast_img read more

Biogeological Raman spectroscopic studies of Antarctic lacustrine sediments

first_imgAnalysis of lacustrine sediments is an accepted method for deciphering the palaeoenvironment of a lake’s catchment area, as each strata of the sediment gives information about the rock type it was eroded from and also the state of the lake, i.e. oxic or anoxic. Antarctica has long been accepted as a putative analogue for Mars, so the analysis of Antarctic material may give results that can be compared to sediments on Mars. Raman spectroscopy has been selected as the method of analysis as it does not destroy the sample, can be used in situ and requires very little sample preparation. It is a suitable method for analysing both inorganic and organic matter and a miniature spectrometer is currently being developed for use in the field. The results from the spectrometers can serve as a guide for analysing sediments on Mars. It has been shown that Raman spectroscopy can detect and differentiate between oxic and anoxic sediments. Both 1064 and 785 nm wavelengths are suitable for laser excitation of organic and inorganic matter.last_img read more

Construction Begins on $6.8M. Housing Project

first_imgBy DONALD WITTKOWSKIA celebratory groundbreaking ceremony was shelved due to the coronavirus pandemic, but construction has begun on a $6.8 million affordable housing project for senior citizens who are now living in a flood-prone area of Ocean City.In the planning stages for about five years, the 32-unit Speitel Commons development is being built by the Ocean City Housing Authority next to the agency’s Bayview Manor housing complex at Sixth Street and West Avenue.City Councilman Bob Barr, who also serves as chairman of the housing authority’s board, called the project “monumental.”Senior citizens who now live in the authority’s flood-prone Pecks Beach Village housing complex on Fourth Street will be moved over to the new project when it is completed in 2021.Barr noted in an interview Tuesday that the seniors will no longer have to worry about getting stuck in the flooding that occurs at Pecks Beach Village not only during strong storms, but even when there is just heavy rain.“They were, quite simply, in the worst location on the island,” Barr said of the flooding at Pecks Beach Village.“But those kinds of things will be gone. The worry won’t be there,” he continued. “Now they’ll be safer, they’ll be dry and they’ll be in a brand new building.”Barr and other members of the housing authority emphasized the importance of the project Tuesday during their monthly board meeting, which was held by teleconference to comply with social distancing guidelines during the pandemic.The project is named in honor of the late Edmond C. Speitel Sr., a housing authority commissioner. Speitel, who was chairman of the authority’s finance and redevelopment committees, helped to oversee the new project from the conceptual phase.“This was his vision, his dream, his baby,” Barr said of Speitel in the interview. “All throughout the project, what I’ve tried to remind people is, it was his vision. It was important for us to carry it through in the way that he wanted.”Barr, who thanked Mayor Jay Gillian for his support of the project, said the housing complex reflects the care that Ocean City has for its senior citizens and people who may need a helping hand. “It’s a picture of what Ocean City is all about. When there is a need, Ocean City comes together,” he said. “That’s what we did after (Hurricane) Sandy and that’s what we’re doing now.”Pecks Beach Village, located on a section of Fourth Street prone to flooding, will be demolished after the new Speitel Commons housing complex is built.The senior citizens portion of Pecks Beach Village, located on the north side of Fourth Street, will be torn down when Speitel Commons is completed. The housing authority has set aside $200,000 for demolition work.Pecks Beach Village also includes affordable housing for low-income families. The 40 family units are located on the south side of Fourth Street. The family units will stay for the time being, although there are longer-range plans to replace them with new housing construction.Financing for Speitel Commons will come from a combination of funding from Ocean City and the New Jersey Mortgage Finance Agency. In 2019, City Council approved a $6.6 million bond ordinance to build or rehabilitate affordable housing sites for senior citizens and low-income families. The projects will help Ocean City meet its state-mandated obligation to provide its “fair share” of affordable housing as part of a court settlement in 2018.The city is expected to contribute more than $2 million toward the Speitel Commons project. The HMFA is providing $4.5 million in funding.Jacqueline Jones, the housing authority’s executive director, said construction began on May 1 and is expected to take 12 months to complete.The authority originally had planned to celebrate the start of construction with a formal groundbreaking ceremony on April 4, but the event was called off because of social distancing requirements and the state’s ban on large gatherings during the pandemic.Jones told the board members during Tuesday’s meeting that no cases of COVID-19 have been reported with any of the residents or staff at the authority’s housing sites.In comments made during April’s board meeting, Jones said the staff members are taking precautions by wearing masks and gloves and by regularly wiping down high-touch surfaces with disinfectant seven days a week.Jones said nearly all of the residents are wearing masks when appropriate and are respectful of social distancing guidelines.“It seems like it’s going OK,” she said.Speitel Commons is being built next to Bayview Manor at Sixth Street and West Avenue. An architectural rendering depicts what the housing authority’s Speitel Commons complex will look like when completed. (Rendering courtesy of Haley Donovan architectural firm)last_img read more

€10,000 CEADAITHE AG AN AIRE STÁIT McHUGH CHUN COMÓRTAS PEILE FAOI 17

first_img€10,000 ceadaithe ag an Aire Stáit McHugh chun comórtas peile faoi 17 mbliana d’aois a reáchtáil i nGaeltacht Dhún na nGallD’fhógair an tAire Stáit do Ghnóthaí Gaeltachta, Joe McHugh, T.D., inniu go bhfuil deontas de €10,000 ceadaithe aige do Choiste F17 7 an Taobh, Casla chun go mbeidh ar a gcumas comórtas peile faoi 17 mbliana d’aois a reáchtáil i nGaeltacht Dhún na nGall go luath.“Is i nGaeltacht na Gaillimhe a reáchtáladh an comórtas seo le 6 bliana anuas agus tá áthas orm a rá go mbeidh sé á reáchtáil i dTír Chonaill den chéad uair i mbliana,” a dúirt an tAire Stáit. Glacann foirne ó na Gaeltachtaí éagsúla páirt sa chomórtas bliantúil seo. Dúirt an t-Aire Stáit go raibh áthas air a bheith in ann a leithéid de dheontas a chur ar fáil agus go bhfuil tionchar fíorthábhachtach ag tograí den chineál seo ar bhuanú agus cur chun cinn na Gaeilge i measc an aosa óig.€10,000 sanctioned by Minister of State McHugh for an under-17s football competition in the Donegal GaeltachtMinister of State for Gaeltacht Affairs, Joe McHugh T.D., today announced that he has sanctioned a grant of €10,000 for Coiste F17 7 an Taobh, Casla, to enable them to run an under 17s football competition in the Donegal Gaeltacht shortly.“This competition has taken place in the Galway Gaeltacht for the past 6 years and I’m pleased to say that it will take place in Donegal for the first time this year,” the Minister of State said. Teams from the various Gaeltacht areas take part in this annual competition. The Minister of State said that he is pleased to be able to provide such a grant and that such projects are hugely important in influencing the preservation and promotion of the Irish language among young people. €10,000 CEADAITHE AG AN AIRE STÁIT McHUGH CHUN COMÓRTAS PEILE FAOI 17 was last modified: September 16th, 2015 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Gaeltacht AffairsJoe McHughlast_img read more

Sex and Gender Cannot Be Separated

first_imgA study of male children born with a rare birth defect called cloacal exstrophy demonstrates that sexual identity is biologically determined, not a result of upbringing.  The report in Science Now shows that most of the boys identified themselves as male early on, even though unaware of their condition and “raised as girls” under doctor’s advice.  Mary Beckman ends the article:The work is “another nail in the coffin” of the idea that gender identity is determined by the environment in which children grow up, says endocrinologist Daniel Federman of Harvard Medical School in Boston.  He says the finding lends support to current thinking that aspects of gender identity are set up during intrauterine development.Her article is called, “Once a male, always a male.”  The study by Reiner and Gearhart is in the 22 January issue of The New England Journal of Medicine.To be happiest, be what you were created to be.  Don’t blame God or bad science for your problems.    There is another identity we all have, male and female, that cannot be extinguished by coercion, environment, or misdirection: we are creatures made in the image of God, and our hearts are not at rest till they find rest in Him.(Visited 61 times, 1 visits today)FacebookTwitterPinterestSave分享0last_img read more

Green stem syndrome

first_imgShare Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest One issue that impacts soybean harvest in the eastern Corn Belt at some level each year is green stem syndrome. Green stem syndrome could be larger issue for the 2017 harvest because of latter planting dates in many areas. When green stem syndrome occurs, stems and leaves can remain green after pods have matured. As a result, while pods and seeds are mature and dry enough to be harvested, harvest operations can be slowed as combines have more difficulty dealing with stems and leaves that are still green. In addition to creating harvest delays, green stem syndrome can increase fuel consumption and result in shattering losses if growers delay harvest until stems have fully matured.The occurrence of green stems varies from year-to-year and can be affected by several factors, such as:• Viral infections• Insect feeding• Late planting• Drought stress• Application of fungicidesSuccessful management of green stem syndrome requires management practices that include timely planting, establishing adequate plant stands, irrigation, and controlling insects/pests. By making these management practices a priority, growers can minimize the likelihood that green stem syndrome will develop in their soybean fields. Although green stem syndrome slows down harvest, soybeans should be harvested as soon as pods are fully mature in order to minimize harvest losses due to shattering.last_img read more

Top stories of 2018: No. 1

first_imgShare Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest Update on Miami Valley Feed and Grain spill cleanup effortsLate one Sunday night Sam Sutherly got a catastrophic phone call he never wanted.“When I got the phone call I just said, ‘Oh that’s nice.’ I turned to my wife and said, ‘I really don’t want to go.’”The Sutherly family owns Miami Valley Feed and Grain in New Carlisle where a grain tank collapsed late on Jan. 21, spilling around 365,000 bushels of corn worth over $1.25 million. The wave of corn washed over the grounds, leveled multiple buildings and buried Route 571. The road had to be closed. Power was lost but restored fairly quickly by Dayton Power and Light. After much hard work, things were up and running again for harvest this fall at Miami Feed and Grain.last_img read more

Web2.0: JavaScript Cousins to AJAX Appear

first_imgWith so many new technology announcements being made over the past few month, it’s really an exciting time for web developers . After a few years of dominance by the fragile and cryptic JavaScript-based AJAX, next-generation RIA frameworks like Adobe’s Apollo, Sun Microsystem’s JavaFX, and Microsoft’s SilverLight seem to be popping up now on a regular basis.AJAX is now being challenged even on its own turf by newer JavaScript contenders. Google Gears, for example, while not a head-on competitor to AJAX, provides a new paradigm for creating off-line browser-based applications, allowing the developer the ability to cache and serve up application resources locally — and it is Javascript based.Another example is Sun Microsystem’s Project Flare which is directly positioned as an AJAX alternative. Project Flare is an Open Source research project that is scheduled to be released later this year. Dan Ingalls, chief investigator on the project describes it as “a self-supporting Web programming kernel that’s all written in JavaScript”.While it’s not easy to find many details about the project since it is still in development, it should be noted that the project is separate and parallel to Sun’s JavaFX product.But what’s different about Project Flare compared to AJAX? It’s not dependent on what Ingalls refers to as “junky” technology, like HTML, the Document Object Model (DOM), and Cascading Style Sheets (CSS).While not yet available, it is hard to judge, but some have criticized the Project Flare approach. Dropping the ability to use XHTML and CSS in effect means Project Flare is recreating the basic web framework.   Trying to replicate and surpass the flexibility and capabilities of HTML and CSS will be difficult.Forrester comments that the criticism isn’t fair because the target of Project Flair is a more limited set of developers that are now struggling with some aspects of AJAX. And when viewed from a different level, all the new RIA frameworks are attempting to move onto successor technologies to HTML.last_img read more

A new school year is about to start – here are some back-to-school resources from Cooperative Extension.

first_imgAcross the nation, schools will officially be back in session for our military students. Going back to school can be an exciting time, but for both students and parents, it can also be stressful.To help foster healthy and resilient futures for our military families and youth, here are some back-to-school resources for success in school by Cooperative Extension.BACK TO SCHOOLHere are proven tips, strategies and insights on how to successfully and safely navigate the back-to-school season from Oklahoma Cooperative Extension and their land-grant University:Plan ahead to manage back-to-school costsCalming those new-school-year jittersSafely walking and riding a bicycle to schoolTips for packing safe school lunchesBreakfast helps set the stage for academic successExtracurricular activities help kids make the grade and learn life lessonsMake healthy choices for after-school snackingFor parents, empty nest can be full of promiseCollege students should budget, tooSUCCESS IN SCHOOLHere are resources to help with success in school from Minnesota Cooperative Extension and their land-grant University:School Transitions provides resources to help you help your child through a school transition.Supporting Learning provides resources to help provide positive and constructive learning experiences for children outside of school.Parent-school Partnerships provides resources to help with meaningful dialogue between parents and teachers, which creates mutual understanding and enhances both parents’ and children’s experiences with school.Research is Minnesota’s Cooperative Extension’s research and evaluation about success in schools.last_img read more