Westbury Contractor Charged With Ripping Off Workers

first_imgSign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York A contractor from Long Island and two of his employees have been indicted on charges of failing to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars in wages to workers on a New York City work site.Mohammad Riaz, a 34-year-old Westbury resident and owner of Applied Construction Inc., pleaded not guilty Wednesday in Bronx court to money laundering, grand larceny, scheme to defraud and other charges.Pleading not guilty to similar charges were 39-year-old Mohammad Arshad, his manager from Hicksville, and 58-year-old Zbigniew “Ziggy” Lakomiec, his foreman from Brooklyn.“Contractors who work on affordable housing cannot ignore New York State’s labor laws,” said New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman, who alleged the trio schemed to avoid prevailing wage laws by underpaying workers.Applied Construction was required by law and their contract with the city to pay prevailing wages to workers on a taxpayer-funded affordable housing project on Kingsbridge Terrace in the Bronx between Nov. 9, 2011 and Aug. 30, 2012.Instead, the trio allegedly paid the workers a fraction of the lawful rate and did not provide supplemental benefits, according to the attorney general. They allegedly tried to cover their tracks by excluding from payroll reports the workers they paid in cash. Some workers who were included on payroll were ordered to back kickbacks to the suspects, authorities said.Judge Richard Lee Price set bail for Riaz and Arshad at $10,000. Lakomiec was released without bail. All three face up to 15 years in prison on the grand larceny charge.last_img read more

​IORP rapporteur rewrites own draft on cross-border pension funds

first_imgBrian Hayes has tabled amendments to his own report on the IORP Directive, seemingly in an attempt to remove the risk of scheme mergers or accrual changes triggering full-funding requirements.The Irish MEP, IORP rapporteur for the Economic and Monetary Affairs Committee (ECON), in July proposed a number of changes to the legislation to lift the burden of full funding imposed on cross-border funds.In his initial report, the MEP suggested a scheme be required to meet technical funding provisions when it started operating “a new or an additional scheme”, raising concerns within the industry that changes to a fund’s accrual or contribution rates could be viewed as the launch of a new scheme.Hayes, a member of the European People’s Party, has now attempted to clarify his intention, amending the text to state that the merger of “two or more existing schemes or an addition of a new section to a scheme” should not be regarded as an additional scheme. His amendment, dated 5 October, is in stark contrast with one tabled by Bas Eickhout, a Dutch MEP and member of the Greens, who amended the European Commission’s draft Directive to state that assets fully cover liabilities “at all times and under suitably prudent assumptions of future returns on assets in order to protect the interests of members”.Sophia in ’t Veld, Dutch shadow IORP rapporteur and member of ECON, proposed removing much of the Commission’s involvement in cross-border regulation, instead proposing an exchange of best practice between national regulators to “stimulate” cross-boarder pensions.In a likely victory for the UK’s ShareAction and Eurosif, Anneliese Dodds, a UK member of the Socialists and Democrats, sought to reinsert a focus on environmental risk management, arguing that any risk assessment should look at “environmental, social and governance” matters.The Commission initially proposed such a focus, but it was removed by member states during negotiations in late 2014.Eurosif and ShareAction spoke with MEPs earlier this year, arguing that pension funds should be required to look at all three areas.Eickhout also tabled an amendment suggesting funds should not see stranded assets as part of a long-term strategy, and should have “effective mechanisms” for mitigating risks.,WebsitesWe are not responsible for the content of external sitesProposed amendments to Brian Hayes report on IORP Directivelast_img read more

Mata impressed by Van Gaal

first_img Mata’s respect for his new manager increased six weeks ago when he witnessed at first hand Van Gaal’s Holland hammer Spain 5-1 in the World Cup. “That game was very, very bad for us,” said Mata, who watched on from the bench. “They scored five goals against Spain so he did a great job.” Van Gaal plans to implement the 3-5-2 formation he used in the latter stages of the World Cup at United this season. That is good news for Mata, who is the perfect candidate to play in the hole behind two strikers. Mata enjoyed two successful years at Chelsea in that position, winning the club’s player of the year award on both occasions. But under David Moyes, Mata was often stationed on the right wing, where he did not look comfortable at all. The former Valencia midfielder hopes Van Gaal’s new system will bring the best out of him. “If I play behind the two strikers it’s a good position (for me),” he said. “I can look for the ball, I can try to assist or score, so I will try my best. “I will try to score as much as I can and try to help the team from that position. “If I have to play on the wing I will try my best as well but I feel comfortable in this role.” United have adapted to the new formation straight away, beating the Los Angeles Galaxy 7-0 in Van Gaal’s first game in charge on Wednesday night. And Mata hopes the system will be just as effective in the Premier League. “It can be very dangerous for the opponent. It is difficult for them to play against us in this formation,” he said. Finishing seventh last year is an experience Mata will never forget, even though he was only at the club for the last four months of the season. The Spaniard is aiming for the highest finish possible this term. “Last season was my first season in England without trophies so hopefully this new season I will be back to win something,” said Mata, who will play against his former club Valencia at Old Trafford on August 12. “The Premier League is a trophy I have never won so it would be a dream for me. “Ever since I was young Manchester United was winning trophies or fighting for them so that is what we have to do. “We have great players, a great manager. We have to go step by step but Man United always play for winning.” Louis van Gaal has told his players they must only speak to each other in English, Juan Mata has revealed. Van Gaal has laid down a few rules since taking over at Manchester United. The Dutchman has reminded his players they must fulfil their media duties and has told the United board that next year’s pre-season tour must be shorter. And now it has emerged that Van Gaal has instructed his squad to speak to one another in English, presumably to improve unity in the ranks. “We (the squad) only speak in English,” Mata said. “He (Van Gaal) says we have to speak in English.” Mata, who is perfectly fluent in English having arrived in the UK three years ago, does not see the new rule, or any other laid down by the new manager, as harsh. In fact, the Spaniard has a deep respect for his new club manager, and is fully behind everything he is doing at Old Trafford. “He is very good on and off the pitch. He is a good man and a great manager,” Mata said. “He has a lot of experience, he has won trophies in previous teams too, so it’s a good chance for me to learn from him and for us to improve as a team. “He is demanding. He is very honest, straight, speaks with everyone to his face. I think this is good, a perfect way to do it, saying what you think about the players in front of them.” Press Associationlast_img read more