Children Voice Anger against ‘Injustice’

first_imgThe 25-year anniversary of the United Nations Convection on the Rights of a Child (UNCRC) was yesterday celebrated by children who took to the principal streets of Monrovia voicing their anger against what they termed as “frequent violence and injustices” meted against them.The children, under the banner of the “Joint Action Committee on Children,” a collection of child rights institutions, staged the memorial march remembering the late Alvin Moses, 4, and Reuben Paye, 7, who reportedly went missing on December 1, 2015, but were found dead the next day in the trunk of a black Toyota Avalon belonging to Henry O. Nandi, a Nigerian national. The incident took place in the VOA Community along the RIA/ELWA highway.The children took the protest to the headquarters of the Liberia National Police (LNP), where they presented several recommendations to the police hierarchy.The group’s recommendations were read on their behalf by Abraham M. Keita, the 2015 International Child Peace Prize Winner, and called on the police to re-open the late children’s case, and subsequently send it to court.The protesting children recommended that the government constitute an independent team of human rights investigators to probe the case, including the causes of the children’s deaths and arrest suspect(s) for prosecution.They asked that the police make official the exact location and present conditions of Alvin’s and Reuben’s remains, with detailed explanation.The document also recommended an autopsy to be conducted on the bodies to determine what caused their deaths, and asked that Sam Collins, the police spokesman, apologize for his alleged utterance that the events surrounding the death of the kids were “entertaining.”Adopted on November 20, 1989, the UNCRC provides global standards to ensure the protection, survival, and development of all children without discrimination.Liberia, as a signatory, pledged to protect children from economic and sexual exploitation, violence and other forms of abuse and to advance the rights of children to education, healthcare, and a decent standard of living.However, Keita said with all the signatories to international protocols, violence is alive and well to the extent that mysterious deaths continue to reportedly occur in the country.Meanwhile, according to Keita, children in Liberia did not celebrate this year’s anniversary as doing so would mean that they were in favor of crimes perpetrated against children.“We have decided not to celebrate but rather mourn the deaths of our colleagues who are victims of violence and injustice,” he said.“We must never ignore the fact that children are silent victims of violence whose rights can be easily violated.” The disappearance of the kids resulted in mob violence where the properties of the accused, including the vehicle where the kids’ lifeless bodies were discovered, were vandalized.As a result of the violence and calls for action, police conducted an investigation, and deposited the boys’ bodies at the mortuary of the John F. Kennedy Medical Center.Later, police claimed that the kids died from suffocation or asphyxiation due to excessive heat in the trunk of the car in which they were reportedly playing. The police statement came without an autopsy report.According to Keita, scientific research has proven that suffocation leaves no physical or visible marks, or bruises on the outer layer of the skin – the epidermis – and does not cause bleeding through the nose, as in the case of the late Alvin and Reuben.“Our attention is drawn to the delay in justice, lack of autopsy report to substantiate the actual causes of the deaths and safe interment of the remains. Since December 2015 their bodies are still in the possession of the police – for which their parents are in dreamland wondering over the current state of their children’s corpses,” Keita said.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Police probe Karius death threats after UCL misery

first_img0Shares0000Loris Karius was subjected to vile abuse after his blunders cost Liverpool the Champions League © AFP / Sergei SUPINSKYLONDON, United Kingdom, May 27 – Police are investigating after Liverpool goalkeeper Loris Karius was subjected to death threats and vile abuse on social media after his costly mistakes condemned his side to a painful Champions League final defeat against Real Madrid.Karius was responsible for two of Real’s goals in their 3-1 victory over Liverpool in Kiev on Saturday. The 24-year-old German threw the ball into Real forward Karim Benzema and it bounced back into the net for the opening goal.He then allowed Gareth Bale’s harmless shot to squirm through his hands for Real’s third goal in the closing minutes.Karius was in tears after the final whistle and Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp admitted he felt bad for the player he signed from Mainz in 2016.No Liverpool players went to console Karius, who was pictured covering his face while disembarking the team’s plane when it arrived back at John Lennon Airport on Sunday morning.Karius had apologised after the match for his mistakes, but that didn’t stop furious Liverpool fans from making sick threats to the keeper and his family.Posts included a commenter saying he hoped Karius died of cancer, while another read: “I hope your whole family dies” and one even said “I’ll murder your girl”.A spokeswoman for Merseyside Police told the Daily Telegraph that officers were investigating the abuse.“The force takes social media posts of this nature extremely seriously and any offences identified will be investigated,” she said.“Merseyside Police would like to remind social media users than any offences including malicious communications and threatening behaviour will be investigated.”By the time he returned home on Sunday, Karius was still in turmoil as he tried to come to terms with his woeful display in the biggest game of his life.Without making reference to the abuse, he took to Twitter himself to again say sorry for his nightmare performance.“Haven’t really slept until now. The scenes are still running through my head again and again. I’m infinitely sorry to my team-mates, for you fans, and for all the staff,” he tweeted.“I know that I messed it up with the two mistakes and let you all down.“As I said I’d just like to turn back the time but that’s not possible.“It’s even worse as we all felt that we could have beaten Real Madrid and we were in the game for a long time.“Thank you to our unbelievable fans who came to Kiev and held my back, even after the game.“I don’t take that for granted and once again it showed me what a big family we are. Thank you and we will come back stronger.”0Shares0000(Visited 3 times, 1 visits today)last_img read more