Vessel with 95kg cocaine nabbed in Pomeroon River

first_imgTwo men were taken into custody by ranks of the Customs Anti-Narcotic Unit (CANU) following the discovery of more than 95 kilograms of cocaine in a vessel that was intercepted along the Pomeroon River on Monday.Based on reports received, the vessel was stopped and searched by members ofThe cocaine that was intercepted in the vessel along the Pomeroon Riverthe Guyana Defence Force (GDF) Coast Guard and it was during that operation that several well wrapped packages were unearthed and upon checking, the illegal substance detected.The men and the suspected cocaine were transported to CANU’s headquarters as investigations continue. According to a release issued by the drug enforcement unit, the men are being interrogated and charges are likely to be instituted shortly.However, it is not clear if the vessel is owned by Guyanese or originated from neighbouring Venezuela, since the information provided by CANU was limited.Earlier in the year, a vessel was discovered in Guyana suspected to have been carrying cocaine but was allegedly released.However, one month after its release, President David Granger ordered that a Commission of Inquiry (CoI) be launched to determine the role played by the Customs Anti-Narcotics Unit (CANU) and the GDF Coast Guard in the detention and release of the vessel.The findings of the CoI were later handed over to Minister of State Joseph Harmon by Chairman, Brigadier (Retired) Bruce Lovell.Brigadier Lovell, in an invited comment, stated that inquiries are important particularly in matters of national interest.The report that was presented, he noted, will assist Guyana in making some important decisions in the security architecture of this country and that it will assist in making decisions, particularly as it relates to the fight against narcotics trafficking.“Inquiries do what any good journalist would do and that is to answer the Five W’s and the one H; the Who, the What, the Where, the Why and the When and it also goes a bit further and seeks to recommend what should be done to prevent any further occurrence,” he noted.He further noted that in the recommendations, the Committee looked at a number of systematic issues, doctrine, organisation, training, leadership, personnel, facilities and, of course, policies.The other members of the Commission were former Assistant Commissioner of Police, Winston Cosbert and Christine Bailey.Meanwhile, at the commencement of the CoI, Head of the Customs Anti-Narcotics Unit, James Singh was asked to proceed on annual leave and Major General Retired, Michael Artherly assumed the post at the helm of the Unit.Singh however, was subsequently relieved of his duties as the head drug enforcement body. It is believed that based on the findings during the COI, recommendations were made for him to be relived from his post.last_img read more

Hillsborough disaster: Charges dropped against Sir Norman Bettison

first_imgSir Norman, 62, who was a chief inspector at the time of the tragedy at the FA Cup semi-final on April 15, 1989, had been due to face trial next year.He was accused of untruthfully describing his role in the South Yorkshire Police response as “peripheral” in a comment to then chief inspector of constabulary Sir David O’Dowd, in 1998, when Sir Norman applied for the job of chief constable in Merseyside.He was also accused of lying to Merseyside Police Authority when he said he had never attempted to shift blame for the disaster “on to the shoulders of Liverpool supporters”.Sir Norman, of Barnsley, South Yorkshire, was alleged to have lied in a statement issued on September 13 2012, following the publication of the Hillsborough Independent Panel report, when he said he had never offered any interpretation other than that the behaviour of Liverpool fans did not cause the disaster.He was also accused of misconduct over a a statement released the following day in which he said he had never “besmirched” Liverpool fans.Sir Norman was charged after the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) carried out the biggest criminal investigation into alleged police misconduct ever carried out in England and Wales.Five other men, including Hillsborough match commander David Duckenfield, are due to face trial for offences related to the disaster next year. Sir Norman Bettison will not be prosecuted over the alleged lies he told following the Hillsborough disaster.The former Merseyside and West Yorkshire chief constable had been charged with four counts of misconduct in a public office, but they have now been dropped by the Crown Prosecution  Service. 1center_img Sir Norman Bettison attends court last_img read more