Last remaining skating rink in City of San Diego fights for survival

first_imgLast remaining skating rink in City of San Diego fights for survival March 11, 2019 00:00 00:00 spaceplay / pause qunload | stop ffullscreenshift + ←→slower / faster ↑↓volume mmute ←→seek  . seek to previous 12… 6 seek to 10%, 20% … 60% XColor SettingsAaAaAaAaTextBackgroundOpacity SettingsTextOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundSemi-TransparentOpaqueTransparentFont SettingsSize||TypeSerif MonospaceSerifSans Serif MonospaceSans SerifCasualCursiveSmallCapsResetSave SettingsSAN DIEGO (KUSI) – They were ready for stand and be counted. Ready to fight City Hall with all they have. But then, City Hall backed off, at least for now.“The City council cancelled the meeting to approve the sale so the rally has been postponed as well”, says Brett Stang, owner of the only Skating rink left in the City of San Diego.Skateworld has been around for 45-years, generations of families have lifetime memories. It appears the city’s need for another ‘big box’ store is more important than a local landmark, and something seems fishy.City Council member Scott Sherman says it was simply a matter of “highest bid”. “They were part of the bidding process and we took the highest bid, they were not the highest bid”, says Sherman.But that might not be the case. The owners of Skateworld say they offered more than five million dollars for the land, it’s not worth nearly that much. But they also says they would have gone higher, if given the chance. They were not given the chance. “Skateworld and it’s investors were willing to go higher, we are still willing to go higher, but it stopped. It just stopped”, says Stang.KUSI has requested information about ‘why’ the council meeting was ‘suddenly cancelled”. The office of Georgette Gomez says the information is on the way.As for Civic San Diego, crickets. No answer, no response, no interest. Civic San Diego is the group created by the Mayor to sell off “taxpayer property”, otherwise called ‘City Land”. Since they conduct their business in the dark, we have requested some light. KUSI has filed a “Freedom of Information Request” to get the records and the various bids.Skateland is not just a revenue stream, it’s a pivotal part of that community. The only family entertainment within miles.So here we go again. It’s the Big Box versus the Little Guy. If the little guy ends up losing, we all want to know why. Posted: March 11, 2019 Dan Plante, Categories: Local San Diego News FacebookTwitter Dan Plante last_img read more

Shawsheen Tech To Hold Swimming Lessons For Kids On Saturdays This Fall

first_imgBILLERICA, MA — Shawsheen Tech will be holding registration for their upcoming Fall Learn to Swim Program on Tuesday, September 10, 2019 and Thursday, September 12, 2019, from 2:30pm to 4pm, at the school’s pool entrance.Lessons run from Saturday, September 28, 2019 to Saturday, November 23, 2019, with no classes on Columbus Day weekend. Class times are staggered between 9am and 1pm.EIGHT 30-minute lessons for beginning swimmers cost $88. EIGHT 60-minute lessons for more advanced swimmers cost $176.Click HERE for the registration form. Have a question? Contact Aquatics Director Jay Tildsley at jtildsley@shawtech.org.Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email wilmingtonapple@gmail.com.Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like Loading… RelatedShawsheen Tech Announces Summer Swimming LessonsIn “Sports”Shawsheen Tech To Hold Swimming Lessons For Kids On Saturdays This FallIn “Sports”Shawsheen Tech To Hold Swimming Lessons For Kids On Saturdays This FallIn “Education”last_img read more

Houston Harris County To Get Billions In HUD Grants To Help Hurricane

first_imgCongress approved the U.S. Housing and Urban Development funding last year, but it’s just now being released to Harvey-hit areas in the form of CDBGs. Texas Land Commissioner George P. Bush has come under criticism for what some saw as unnecessary delays in distributing Harvey relief funds. Earlier this year, Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner publicly criticized Bush for what he called a lack of cooperation and inclusiveness. The General Land Office said HUD didn’t provide guidance on how this money could be used until February. Now, the GLO said after a March meeting with federal HUD officials and representatives from Houston and Harris County, an action plan is in place to distribute the $5 billion.“The impact of Hurricane Harvey continues to disrupt the lives of so many Texans,” Bush said. “As we continue the long-term recovery process, the GLO’s Community Development and Revitalization team continues to work with local officials in all 49 affected counties to expedite the release of disaster recovery funds. Through the utilization of innovative recovery programs, we are positioning Texas for a more comprehensive recovery that will truly help rebuild.”The meeting resulted in Harris County and Houston getting grants of $1.115 billion each. The rest of the money will be distributed to other counties affected by Harvey.The bulk of the funds will go to homeowners who need assistance with rebuilding. Other grants include money for home buyouts, affordable rental housing, infrastructure repairs, and economic revitalization.Meanwhile, Governor Greg Abbott announced Tuesday that Texas will receive another allocation from HUD of an additional $5.03 billion for disaster relief.NEW: MORE money is coming to Texas to help rebuild from #HurricaneHarvey. This $4.7 billion is on top of the $5 billion Texas just received. This will help rebuild homes & build infrastructure to reduce future floods. #txlege #TexasStrong #RebuildTexas https://t.co/o4nJtobQAW— Greg Abbott (@GregAbbott_TX) April 10, 2018 .@txglo Cmr. @georgepbush announces publication of State Action Plan for $5B in #HurricaneHarvey housing infrastructure and economic recovery funding for public comment. For more info visit https://t.co/Dr8iCTNtnB pic.twitter.com/7WrochuvAg— TXGeneralLandOffice (@txglo) April 10, 2018 Sharelast_img read more

President Trump Asks For More Time To File His Taxes

first_img Share Saul Loeb/AFP/Getty ImagesPresident Trump has filed for an extension on his taxes. Trump has bucked the tradition of presidents and major presidential candidates releasing their tax returns to the public.President Trump will not meet the federal deadline to file his 2017 tax return in April, the White House said.“The president filed an extension for his 2017 tax return, as do many Americans with complex returns,” White House spokeswoman Sarah Sanders said in a statement.Sanders said Trump will file his returns by Oct. 15, the deadline set by the IRS for taxpayers who ask for extensions.Trump has bucked decades of tradition by not releasing his tax returns to the public.During the campaign he argued that he could not release his taxes because he was under audit, though tax experts told NPR that no law bars people from releasing their returns during an audit. After the election, Trump said Americans do not care about seeing his tax returns.Details about some of his tax filings have leaked to news outlets.The White House confirmed that Trump and his wife, Melania, earned about $150 million in 2005 and paid federal taxes of about $38 million, after copies of the president’s 2005 returns were anonymously sent to a journalist.Documents obtained by the New York Times in 2016 showed that Trump declared a $916 million loss on his 1995 tax returns.Copyright 2018 NPR. To see more, visit http://www.npr.org/.last_img read more