Werder Bremen sack manager Alexander Nouri after winless start in Bundesliga

first_imgWerder Bremen announced on Monday that they have dismissed manager Alexander Nouri after failing to register a win in any of their opening 10 Bundesliga matches this season.Following Sunday’s 3-0 home defeat by Augsburg, Bremen are second from bottom in the standings on five points, having scored three goals and conceded 12.”Alex took on a very difficult task last season and did a fantastic job. He has our thanks for that,” Bremen chief executive Frank Baumann said in a statement.”He has all the qualities of a successful coach, and I’m sure that he will continue his path with success elsewhere.”Nouri, who was appointed manager in October last year after a short stint on an interim basis, led the side out of the relegation zone to an eighth-placed finish last season.The 38-year-old becomes the third Bundesliga coach to be sacked this term after Andries Jonker (Wolfsburg) and Carlo Ancelotti (Bayern Munich).Bremen’s Under-23 coach Florian Kohfeldt will take charge of the first team for Friday’s league match against 10th-placed Eintracht Frankfurt.last_img read more

13 days agoBurnley boss Dyche delighted with McNeil progress

first_imgAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Burnley boss Dyche delighted with McNeil progressby Paul Vegas13 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveBurnley boss Sean Dyche is delighted with the progress of Dwight McNeil.His latest impressive performance came against Everton on Saturday where he got the better of a duel with Toffees full back and Republic of Ireland international Seamus Coleman.“Dwight was very good again, he continues to defy the logic of young players because when they go in they often have a quiet spell and it might still come but it hasn’t so far,” said Dyche after the Clarets’ victory on Saturday.“His quality meant he has taken on a full back who has played hundreds of games in the Premier League and is an international player and gave him a challenge as he has done with many others.“He is a very, very good player and continues to improve.” last_img read more

Indiana Jokingly Wishes “Former Basketball Manager” Jim Harbaugh A Happy Birthday

first_imgHead coach Jim Harbaugh of the Michigan Wolverines reacts during the college football game against the Michigan State Spartans at Michigan Stadium.ANN ARBOR, MI – OCTOBER 17: Head coach Jim Harbaugh of the Michigan Wolverines reacts during the college football game against the Michigan State Spartans at Michigan Stadium on October 17, 2015 in Ann Arbor, Michigan. The Spartans defeated the Wolverines 27-23. (Photo by Christian Petersen/Getty Images)Michigan football head coach Jim Harbaugh turned 52 today, and the Wolverines aren’t the only ones wishing him a happy birthday. Harbaugh’s sister Joani is married to Indiana basketball coach Tom Crean, and back in 2012, while head coach of the San Francisco 49ers, Harbaugh served as a manager for the Hoosiers for a game, bringing chairs out for the team during timeouts, among other things. Indiana jokingly wished their most famous former manager a happy birthday this afternoon.Of course, Harbaugh is no longer coaching in the NFL or the Pac-12. He is at a rival Big Ten school, and some Hoosier fans don’t appreciate this gesture, no matter how tongue-in-cheek as it may be.harbaugh indiana comment 1harbaugh indiana comment 3harbaugh indiana comment 4harbaugh indiana comment 5harbaugh indiana comment 6Well, we thought it was pretty funny, at least.last_img read more

FS1’s Colin Cowherd On Controversial 2007 Sean Taylor Comments: “I Wish I Could Do That Over Again”

first_imgFS1's Colin Cowherd.With today’s launch of his new show Speak For Yourself, Colin Cowherd is poised to become one of the most important figures at Fox Sports 1, as it continues to shift to fit network president Jamie Horowitz’s infamous “embrace debate” strategy. The Washington Post‘s Rick Maese wrote a profile on Cowherd, where he admits his desire to be loved by viewers, and apologizes for one of his most notable on-air gaffes. After the death of former Miami Hurricanes and NFL superstar Sean Taylor, Cowherd blamed the victim, citing “23 years of bad judgment” as a reason for his death.Cowherd went on air and said, “Sometimes you’ve got stains, stuff so deep it never ever leaves. . . . And if you have bad judgment for 23 years of your life, even if you clean it up, your judgment doesn’t get great overnight.”He’s not proud of that today.“I just ad-libbed it. I think I was just too harsh,” he said. “That’s one of those, ‘Dammit, you know, I wish I could really take that back.’ . . . I wish I could do that over again, and I feel bad. But in my life, I can’t. It’s there. It’s somewhere archived. It’s just part of my biography, part of my archive. But I look at it now, I wish I could reel it back in. . . .“I probably should’ve scaled it back. I didn’t, and I paid a price. It made people very angry.”This was perhaps the worst of Cowherd’s many controversial stances, but it is far from his only one. Cowherd has long held a bizarre grudge against Washington Wizards point guard John Wall, after he did his signature dance before his first NBA game. Wall’s former college coach John Calipari has asked Cowherd to walk it back, but even after Wall won this year’s NBA Community Assist Award, Cowherd has not. Before leaving ESPN for FOX, Cowherd was suspended after asserting that Dominican baseball players are not well-educated.We don’t expect Cowherd to change much, especially as he expands to even more formats at FOX. That is a lot of time to fill, and like him or not, Cowherd is an expert at doing just that. [The Washington Post]MORE FROM COLLEGE SPUN:The 10 Most Aggressive Fan Bases In CFBIn Photos: Golfer Paige SpiranacESPN Makes Decision On Dick Vitalelast_img read more

Not cutting corners Resources minister says no rushing Trans Mountain review

first_imgCALGARY — Natural Resources Minister Amarjeet Sohi says the federal government won’t cut corners to speed up a full review of the proposed Trans Mountain pipeline expansion.The government bought the pipeline for $4.5 billion last summer only to have the Federal Court of Appeal strike down Ottawa’s approval of it.The court said Canada failed to meaningfully consult with First Nations and that the National Energy Board failed to examine how the project would affect the ocean ecosystem.Ottawa is now consulting with Indigenous groups and the board has been reviewing the marine effects.The board is to have its report ready by Feb. 22.“They are on schedule,” Sohi said Thursday in Calgary, where he was making a solar-panel announcement.“I give regular updates to the cabinet … on how we are … making sure the Trans Mountain pipeline expansion moves forward in the right way, dealing with the issues the court has identified.”Sohi said he has lived in Alberta for 34 years and understands that  oil and gas workers are desperate for the project to move ahead.“We need to make sure that we are not cutting corners. We owe it to Alberta. We owe it to Alberta workers. We owe it to Canadians that we don’t get into the same situation that we got into the last time, which is very unfortunate,” he said.“The way the process works is that the NEB will make a recommendation to my department and once we conclude our (Indigenous) consultations there’ll be a new report prepared for the cabinet to reconsider the decision.”Sohi said he has consulted with 40 Indigenous groups so far and will be going back to British Columbia in a couple of weeks.The issues he is hearing about are related to land-title rights,  protection of water and fish, oil-spill response and marine safety, he said.Sohi declined to give a timeline on when to expect a new recommendation from the federal cabinet or whether any action will be taken before the next federal election due later this year.“I am not in a position to comment on that because my focus is fixing what has been broken and making sure we are moving forward on this project in the right way.”The Trans Mountain expansion would triple the amount of oil flowing from Alberta to the B.C. coast for export to overseas markets.— Follow @BillGraveland on Twitter Bill Graveland, The Canadian Presslast_img read more

No winning ticket for Friday nights 50 million Lotto Max jackpot

first_imgTORONTO — There was no winning ticket for the $50 million jackpot in Friday night’s Lotto Max draw.There were also two Maxmillion prizes of $1 million each up for grabs, but again no winners.The jackpot for the next Lotto Max draw on June 4 will be approximately $55 million, and there will be four Maxmillion prizes.The Canadian Presslast_img

Carmelo Anthony Suffers Left Ankle Sprain in Win Over

New York Knicks forward Carmelo Anthony suffered a left ankle sprain Thursday night as he led his team to a 116-107 victory over the Los Angeles Lakers, leaving his status as unclear for Saturday’s game against the Cleveland Cavaliers.Anthony suffered the injury in the third quarter after driving to the basket and being fouled by Dwight Howard. The hard foul caused Anthony to hit the floor hard and land awkwardly on his left ankle, and his left leg folded back under his body as he hit the court.Anthony was able to get to his feet after the a few seconds and made his way to the free throw line. He made 1-of-2 free throws and was quickly subbed out at the next dead ball by Steve Novak.“It was a hard foul. I couldn’t catch my fall,” Anthony said after the game. “It was an awkward fall. Right now I’m sore.”He went on to add that his left ankle, knee and hip were extremely sore, but said it was too early to say to know if he would play against the Cavs on Saturday.Knicks coach Mike Woodson said after the game that Anthony would be day to day with a slight ankle sprain. Glen Grunwald, Knicks general manager said that he did not think the injury was severe.“I’ll wake up (on Friday) and see what happens,” Anthony said.Before Anthony left the game with 6:33 in the third quarter, he was having a stellar offensive performance that had fans in Madison Square Garden in an uproar.Anthony managed to make the Lakers defense look like a middle school team as he scored 22 points in the first quarter. He was only two points shy of the franchise record set by Willis Reed and Allan Houston.“I was zoned in. I was locked in. Tonight was one of those games where I had that feeling,” Anthony said.Anthony was so locked in that he finished with 30 points on 10-of-15 shooting in just 23 minutes of play when he left the game.This was the first reunion since the Olympics that Anthony had with Lakers coach Mike D’Antoni. D’Antoni was the Knicks coach last year before being fired and replaced by Woodson. There were reports that Anthony and D’Antoni clashed several times.But Anthony wanted to come into Thursday night not to seek revenge against his former coach, but to protect the Knicks’ perfect record at the Garden. They were 8-0 at home before entering the contest.Thursday’s night win pushed the Knicks home record to 9-0 and 17-5 on the season.If Anthony is unable to go on Saturday, this will be his third game that he has missed this season. He missed two earlier games this month against the Bulls and Heat with a cut to his middle left finger that needed five stitches.The Knicks went 1-1 without Anthony, beating the Heat by 20 points and losing to the Bulls. They hope to have Anthony against the Cavs, a team that beat the Lakers Tuesday night. read more

Ohio State mens hockey splits opening weekend

OSU senior forward Chad Niddery skates up the ice during an exhibition game against Guelph Oct. 4. at the Schottenstein Center. OSU won 7-1.Credit: Melissa Prax / Lantern photographerThe Ohio State men’s hockey team had an up-an-down ride through its weekend. After defeating No. 4 Providence, 5-4, in overtime on Friday night, the Buckeyes fell to the Friars, 2-1, in overtime on Saturday in Columbus.The two one-goal games extracted a range of feelings from OSU. In one day, the Buckeyes’ temperament went from euphoric to downcast.Providence freshman forward Brian Pinho’s goal with 45 seconds remaining in overtime of Saturday’s game sparked the mood change.“It’s disappointing we lost tonight. We gave ourselves a chance,” coach Steve Rohlik said on Saturday. “It’s a tough one to lose in overtime, but I’m proud of our team.”Following a five-goal Friday night, the Buckeyes’ offense could not top the Friars on Saturday despite building momentum in the second period.“We had a lot of rebounds that we didn’t really take advantage of,” OSU senior forward Chad Niddery said. “The bounces just didn’t come for a few (rebounds) that we had right down low.”The Buckeyes’ offensive push was created after OSU killed a five-minute misconduct penalty to start the second period, Rohlik said.The misconduct, issued to sophomore defenseman Josh Healey for contact to the head, left the Buckeye blue line shorthanded for the final 40 minutes.“That’s hockey, that’s going to happen sometimes and you have to be prepared for that,” OSU junior defenseman Sam Jardine said. “We adapted and I think the legs were there.”Buckeye sophomore goalie Matt Tomkins finished the night with 27 saves on 29 shots, the last of which was a wrist shot from the high slot that squeaked under his arm.“(Tomkins) played very well,” Rohlik said. “He gave us every opportunity to win a hockey game.”OSU was outshot 29-27, but lost its biggest battle in the face-off circle where Providence won 38 of 61 draws.Scoring opened eight minutes into the third period when Providence freshman defenseman Logan Day fired a wrist shot from the slot past Tomkins.Less than a minute later, OSU freshman forward Luke Stork took a pass from freshman forward Nick Jones and tied the game with his first collegiate goal.Jones was in Saturday’s lineup after Buckeye sophomore forward Nick Schilkey left Friday’s game with an apparent shoulder injury.Despite Schilkey’s early exit, OSU didn’t struggle to score on Friday. Backed by junior forward Anthony Greco’s hat trick and two goals from senior forward Tanner Fritz, the Buckeyes erased four one-goal deficits en route to a season-opening win.Sophomore goalie Christian Frey finished Friday with 26 saves. The Buckeyes scored three power play goals on seven chances in the game, going three-for-eight on the weekend.OSU killed all seven penalties it took during the series.Providence coach Nate Leaman spoke highly of the Buckeyes after Saturday’s game.“I think they have a really good hockey team,” Leaman said. “I think that team’s probably going to surprise some people this year.”OSU is set to play a home-and-home series against Miami University next weekend, starting on Friday at the Schottenstein Center at 7 p.m.Loose pucksSix freshmen made their OSU debuts this weekendMatt Weis, Luke Stork and Nick Jones registered their first collegiate points during the seriesThe Buckeyes are 3-2 all-time against Providence read more

Number of coaches and wrestlers defend Jim Jordan

Richard Strauss, a former wrestling team physician and an assistant professor of medicine, is being investigated by Ohio State on allegations of sexual misconduct. Credit: Lantern file photoAfter accusations last week that Ohio Rep. Jim Jordan was aware of and kept quiet about alleged abuse by former Ohio State team doctor Richard Strauss, many players and coaches have come forward to defend the former assistant wrestling coach.The statements defending Jordan began Monday with a joint statement by six former coaches, including former Ohio State wrestling head coach Russ Hellickson. The defense of Jordan continued with a joint statement by 15 wrestlers on Tuesday and two more on Wednesday.“I am frankly pissed off at what they are doing to Jim Jordan. This is hysteria and politics running the narrative,” Hellickson told The Hill earlier this week. “If they are attacking him, why aren’t they attacking the 30 or 40 other coaches at OSU?”Statements being sent out defending Jordan have been put out through the public relations firm Shirley and Bannister, a conservative firm based out of Alexandria, Virginia. The wrestlers that defended Jordan on Tuesday said the alleged abuse was not as widespread as it is being made to seem, with one telling the Associated Press he knew nothing of any alleged abuse until claims arose this year.Following the joint statement on Tuesday, two more wrestlers spoke to CNN in defense of Jordan.One of the wrestlers, George Pardos, told CNN he had many interactions with Strauss and never experienced any attempted abuse.“If you’re sitting there saying everybody had the same experience with Dr. Strauss, that’s just not true,” Pardos said. “People are trying to assume this was a widespread problem.” read more

Report – AS Roma want Ozan Kabak

first_imgItalian side AS Roma are reportedly prepared to pay the €7.5m release clause of teenage Galatasaray defender Ozan Kabak.The center-back who can also play as a defensive midfielder is currently negotiating a new deal that would almost treble the release clause.According to Football Italia, Giallorossi chief Monchi is the favourite to convince him into a move.However, there is also interest from Manchester United and Olympique Lyonnais.Chris Smalling open to a permanent AS Roma deal Andrew Smyth – September 6, 2019 Chris Smalling can “definitely see a longer-term future” for himself at AS Roma should things work out on his loan spell from Manchester United.Ozan Muhammed Kabak has been a subject of discussion among top clubs in Europe after putting up an impressive performance for Galatasaray in the Turkish Super Lig and UEFA Champions League.AS Roma are among the top Italian clubs looking to strengthen their squad during this transfer window as they prepare for the second half of the season.They also have a tough UEFA Champions League last 16 game against Portolast_img read more